all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#549: emacsclient or emacsclientw not waiting in Windows
       [not found] <000001c8e349$30b8e300$922aa900$@suontama@supponor.tv>
@ 2008-07-12  4:56 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2008-07-12  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 549

reassign 549 emacs,w32
thanks

> I have a Windows Vista SP1, and when using emacsclient or emacsclientw, they

IIRC `emacsclientw' is not part of Emacs, but only of some derived
packages (EmacsW32, maybe?).  So maybe the problem is in those packages.

AFAIK `emacsclient' does wait for the editing to be done before
returning, so please try and reproduce your problem with a vanilla Emacs
(e.g. the one you can download from
http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/).

* Processed: Re: bug#549: emacsclient or emacsclientw not waiting in Windows
@ 2008-07-12  5:05   ` Emacs bug Tracking System
From: Emacs bug Tracking System @ 2008-07-12  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: Emacs Bugs, w32 #549

Processing commands for control@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com:

> reassign 549 emacs,w32
bug#549: emacsclient or emacsclientw not waiting in Windows
Warning: Unknown package 'w32'
bug reassigned from package `emacs' to `emacs,w32'.

> thanks
Stopping processing here.

Don Armstrong
(administrator, Emacs bugs database)

* bug#549: emacsclient or emacsclientw not waiting in Windows
@ 2008-07-12  7:46   ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-07-12  7:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, 549

Stefan Monnier wrote:
> reassign 549 emacs,w32
> thanks
>
>> I have a Windows Vista SP1, and when using emacsclient or emacsclientw, they
>
> IIRC `emacsclientw' is not part of Emacs, but only of some derived
> packages (EmacsW32, maybe?).  So maybe the problem is in those packages.

emacsclientw is now also part of Emacs on w32. (Though the one that
comes with Emacs+EmacsW32 is a bit different.)

> AFAIK `emacsclient' does wait for the editing to be done before
> returning, so please try and reproduce your problem with a vanilla Emacs
> (e.g. the one you can download from
> http://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows/).

Yes, that is the right thing to do whenever reporting a problem.
(However the versions of emacsclient/w that comes with Emacs+EmacsW32
also waits, so the problem is probably somewhere else.)

@ 2008-07-14 15:38 ` Lennart Borgman (gmail)
From: Lennart Borgman (gmail) @ 2008-07-14 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vesa Suontama, 549; +Cc: bug-gnu-emacs

Vesa Suontama wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Windows Vista SP1, and when using emacsclient or emacsclientw,
> they always return immediately with return value 1, and do not wait
> making it useless as EDITOR for command line utilities which should wait.
>
> I use the emacsclient from cmd.exe and not from cygwin. I also started
> emacs with –q, and started server manually after that, so no startup
> file should be causing this.
>
> Is this a known issue?
>
> Otherwise I love emacs :)
>
> Vesa
>
> In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.0.6001)
>
>  of 2008-03-26 on RELEASE
>
> Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.0.6001

I do not have Emacs 22 here. However I just tested with CVS Emacs 23,
both unpatched and the patched version that comes with Emacs+EmacsW32. I
saw no problem, both emacsclient and emacsclientw waited as expected.

Some notes:

- Please use -Q (uppercase), not -q (lowercase). -q will still run
site-start.el

- If you test from a console window (running cmd.exe) then please note
that emacsclientw can not make cmd.exe wait for it. I can't remember the
technical terms for it but w here stands for "window, GUI". Program
linked as GUI applications do not use a console window (by default).
They can not write to a console and if started from a console the
console will not wait for them.

* Processed: Re: bug#549: emacsclient or emacsclientw not waiting in Windows
       [not found] <487C5B5B.5060806@gnu.org>
@ 2008-07-15  8:15 ` Emacs bug Tracking System
From: Emacs bug Tracking System @ 2008-07-15  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney; +Cc: Emacs Bugs, w32 #549

Processing commands for control@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com:

> tags 549 wontfix
bug#549: emacsclient or emacsclientw not waiting in Windows
There were no tags set.
Warning: Unknown package 'w32'
Tags added: wontfix