Package: emacs Version: 23.0.60 Severity: normal Tags: patch delete-by-moving-to-trash was recently introduced, but doesn't really work as expected for typical gnu+linux desktop users, and I had some procrastination to do, so... Attached patch adds basic support for moving files to a fd.o-style trashcan, as used in KDE/GNOME/XFCE/etc. and documented at: http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Specifications/trash-spec Unlike "Microsoft Windows? -> use Windows Recycle Bin" or "MacOSX? -> use MacOSX trash can", one maybe can't say "GNU/Linux/BSD? -> use freedesktop-style Trash", so whether the freedesktop-style trashcan should be preferred over the simple emacs fallback "trash-directory" scheme is decided a bit roughly. Maybe a move-file-to-trash-scheme should just be a user-visible customisation. ... I hate trashcans anyway.