all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: help-debbugs@gnu.org (GNU bug Tracking System)
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: bug#62480: closed (Re: bug#62480: Missing "configure")
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 13:23:02 +0000	[thread overview]

Your bug report

#62480: Missing "configure"

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to 62480@debbugs.gnu.org.

--
62480: https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=62480
GNU Bug Tracking System

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3186 bytes --]

From: Gregory Heytings <gregory@heytings.org>
To: c.buhtz@posteo.jp
Cc: 62480-done@debbugs.gnu.org
Subject: Re: bug#62480: Missing "configure"
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 13:22:22 +0000

> it seems that there is no "configure" script in the git repo but it is
> pointed to from the INSTALL file.
>
> The INSTALL file does point to "./configure" script in bullet "2a". But
> there isn't such a script.
>
> I cloned from git
>
>    git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git
>
> No "configure" in the master. I also tried "git checkout emacs-29". No
> "configure" there also.

Thanks for your bug report.

The instructions to build Emacs from a clone of the repository are in
INSTALL.REPO, not in INSTALL.  This is explained in the second paragraph
of the INSTALL file:

For information about building from a Git checkout (rather than an Emacs
release), read the INSTALL.REPO file first.

The main difference is that you should do "./autogen.sh" before
"./configure".

Closing.

[-- Attachment #3: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4101 bytes --]

From: c.buhtz@posteo.jp
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Missing "configure"
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2023 08:45:22 +0000

Hello,

it seems that there is no "configure" script in the git repo but it is
pointed to from the INSTALL file.

The INSTALL file does point to "./configure" script in bullet "2a". But
there isn't such a script.

I cloned from git

     git clone https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git

No "configure" in the master. I also tried "git checkout emacs-29". No
"configure" there also.

This is not a support question about how to build. It is a bug report
about the documentation.

Kind
Christian Buhtz