all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#4994: 23.1.50; reftex-isearch-minor-mode does not restore to the original point
@ 2009-11-20 17:34 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-11-20 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

1. (reftex-isearch-minor-mode t)

2. now search a string in a LaTeX project that is split (via \input
or \include) into many files

3. C-g to quit

and you will see point can be left in a new buffer.

For example, from the master file I initialised an isearch and when the
point jumped to chap1.tex, I hit C-g. Point was left in chap1.tex
instead of the original buffer where the command started.

I am surprised by this behaviour so I'm wondering whether this is a bug.

Best wishes,

Leo

================================

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin9.8.0, NS apple-appkit-949.54)
 of 2009-09-22 on neutron.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.949
configured using `configure  '--with-ns''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

* bug#4994: 23.1.50; reftex-isearch-minor-mode does not restore to the original point
@ 2009-11-20 19:08   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-11-20 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Leo; +Cc: 4994

> 1. (reftex-isearch-minor-mode t)
>
> 2. now search a string in a LaTeX project that is split (via \input
> or \include) into many files
>
> 3. C-g to quit
>
> and you will see point can be left in a new buffer.
>
> For example, from the master file I initialised an isearch and when the
> point jumped to chap1.tex, I hit C-g. Point was left in chap1.tex
> instead of the original buffer where the command started.
>
> I am surprised by this behaviour so I'm wondering whether this is a bug.

Thanks, good point.  It seems C-g doesn't return to the initial search state.
I'll try a solution.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* bug#4994: 23.1.50; reftex-isearch-minor-mode does not restore to the original point
@ 2009-11-20 19:32     ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-11-20 19:32 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 4994; +Cc: Leo

>> 1. (reftex-isearch-minor-mode t)
>>
>> 2. now search a string in a LaTeX project that is split (via \input
>> or \include) into many files
>>
>> 3. C-g to quit
>>
>> and you will see point can be left in a new buffer.
>>
>> For example, from the master file I initialised an isearch and when the
>> point jumped to chap1.tex, I hit C-g. Point was left in chap1.tex
>> instead of the original buffer where the command started.
>>
>> I am surprised by this behaviour so I'm wondering whether this is a bug.
>
> Thanks, good point.  It seems C-g doesn't return to the initial search state.
> I'll try to find a solution.

Multi-buffer isearch has no chance to save the initial state because
its setup is called too late - after the initial state (without
additional information about the original buffer) is pushed to the stack.

IOW, in `isearch-mode', `(isearch-push-state)' is called earlier than
(run-hooks 'isearch-mode-hook) that sets up multi-buffer specific
`isearch-push-state-function'.

Changing the order of these lines fixes this bug.  However, this change has
a risk of breaking other things.  So I need more time to test this fix.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* bug#4994: 23.1.50; reftex-isearch-minor-mode does not restore to the original point
@ 2009-11-20 22:44       ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-11-20 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Hi Juri,

On 2009-11-20 19:32 +0000, Juri Linkov wrote:
> Multi-buffer isearch has no chance to save the initial state because
> its setup is called too late - after the initial state (without
> additional information about the original buffer) is pushed to the stack.
>
> IOW, in `isearch-mode', `(isearch-push-state)' is called earlier than
> (run-hooks 'isearch-mode-hook) that sets up multi-buffer specific
> `isearch-push-state-function'.
>
> Changing the order of these lines fixes this bug.  However, this change has
> a risk of breaking other things.  So I need more time to test this fix.

Thank you for fixing the issue. I will wait for your final patch ;)

Best wishes,
Leo

* bug#4994: 23.1.50; reftex-isearch-minor-mode does not restore to the original point
@ 2009-12-07 17:30   ` Juri Linkov
From: Juri Linkov @ 2009-12-07 17:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Leo; +Cc: 4994

> 1. (reftex-isearch-minor-mode t)
>
> 2. now search a string in a LaTeX project that is split (via \input
> or \include) into many files
>
> 3. C-g to quit
>
> and you will see point can be left in a new buffer.
>
> For example, from the master file I initialised an isearch and when the
> point jumped to chap1.tex, I hit C-g. Point was left in chap1.tex
> instead of the original buffer where the command started.
>
> I am surprised by this behaviour so I'm wondering whether this is a bug.

This is fixed now in CVS.  Please try the fix.

Thank you for reporting the bug.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

* bug#4994: 23.1.50; reftex-isearch-minor-mode does not restore to the  original point
@ 2009-12-07 19:29     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-12-07 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juri Linkov; +Cc: 4994

Hi Juri,

2009/12/7 Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org>:
>> 1. (reftex-isearch-minor-mode t)
>>
>> 2. now search a string in a LaTeX project that is split (via \input
>> or \include) into many files
>>
>> 3. C-g to quit
>>
>> and you will see point can be left in a new buffer.
>>
>> For example, from the master file I initialised an isearch and when the
>> point jumped to chap1.tex, I hit C-g. Point was left in chap1.tex
>> instead of the original buffer where the command started.
>>
>> I am surprised by this behaviour so I'm wondering whether this is a bug.
>
> This is fixed now in CVS.  Please try the fix.

I can confirm this is fixed. Thank you very much.

> Thank you for reporting the bug.
>
> --
> Juri Linkov
> http://www.jurta.org/emacs/

Leo

* bug#4994: marked as done (23.1.50; reftex-isearch-minor-mode does not restore to the original point)
@ 2009-12-07 20:55   ` Emacs bug Tracking System
From: Emacs bug Tracking System @ 2009-12-07 20:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Juri Linkov

Your message dated Mon, 07 Dec 2009 22:48:50 +0200
with message-id <87ocmase6l.fsf@mail.jurta.org>
and subject line Re: 23.1.50; reftex-isearch-minor-mode does not restore to the  original point
has caused the Emacs bug report #4994,
regarding 23.1.50; reftex-isearch-minor-mode does not restore to the original point
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact owner@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
immediately.)

--
4994: http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=4994
Emacs Bug Tracking System

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3631 bytes --]

From: Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com>
To: emacs-pretest-bug@gnu.org
Subject: 23.1.50; reftex-isearch-minor-mode does not restore to the original point
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 2009 17:34:46 +0000

[...]

[-- Attachment #3: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 1614 bytes --]

From: Juri Linkov <juri@jurta.org>
To: 4994-done@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 22:48:50 +0200

Bug closed.