I have emacs 22.3 installed on $ uname -a Linux void 2.6.9-67.0.1.ELsmp #1 SMP Fri Nov 30 11:57:43 EST 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux No emacs is running: $ ps -e | grep emacs $ If I invoke emacsclient at this point it does launch emacs but with an unnecessary message on stderr and does not return (as expected since --no-wait was not used): $ echo $ALTERNATE_EDITOR /sandbox/bin/emacs $ emacsclient foo emacsclient: connect: Connection refused The newly launched emacs has a buffer open on foo but not as a server buffer. emacsclient is waiting for a done message from emacs and emacs is acting as though it was launched by emacsclient using the --no-wait option. Thanks.