all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#2969: Emacs thinks the background-mode is "dark" on Windows, when registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors is empty
@ 2009-04-12 17:41 ` Michael Schierl
  2009-04-13 16:30   ` bug#2969: marked as done (Emacs thinks the background-mode is "dark" on Windows, when registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors is empty) Emacs bug Tracking System
From: Michael Schierl @ 2009-04-12 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bug-gnu-emacs

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

One one particular Windows system I have the effect that Emacs started
up with black text on white background, but the links were cyan (as if
the background was dark).

(frame-parameter nil 'background-mode) returned 'dark.

After a bit of investigation, I noticed that the registry key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors
did not have any values assigned. I don't know how this can happen, but
it seems that Windows copes very well with that, I never had any
incorrectly displayed program before.

The WINAPI call GetSysColor(5) still returns 0xFFFFFF, as expected, so
the background is drawn in white.

As a workaround, I changed one of the system colors in control panel, so
that Windows rewrote all the Colors keys in the registry. Now Emacs
looks fine. (This bug report text is from before the change, so you
still see the original error messages below).

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-03-26 on RELEASE
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: DEU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  encoded-kbd-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Unable to load color "SystemWindowText"
Unable to load color "SystemWindow"
Unable to load color "SystemWindowText"
Unable to load color "SystemWindow" [2 times]
Unable to load color "SystemWindowText"
Unable to load color "SystemWindow"
Unable to load color "SystemWindowText"

* bug#2969: marked as done (Emacs thinks the background-mode is  "dark" on Windows, when registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control  Panel\Colors is empty)
  2009-04-12 17:41 ` bug#2969: Emacs thinks the background-mode is "dark" on Windows, when registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors is empty Michael Schierl
@ 2009-04-13 16:30   ` Emacs bug Tracking System
From: Emacs bug Tracking System @ 2009-04-13 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Rumney

Your message dated Tue, 14 Apr 2009 00:23:32 +0800
with message-id <49E36704.1010507@gnu.org>
and subject line Re: bug#2969: Emacs thinks the background-mode is "dark" on Windows, when registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors is empty
has caused the Emacs bug report #2969,
regarding Emacs thinks the background-mode is "dark" on Windows, when registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors is empty
to be marked as done.

This means that you claim that the problem has been dealt with.
If this is not the case it is now your responsibility to reopen the
bug report if necessary, and/or fix the problem forthwith.

(NB: If you are a system administrator and have no idea what this
message is talking about, this may indicate a serious mail system
misconfiguration somewhere. Please contact owner@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
immediately.)

--
2969: http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=2969
Emacs Bug Tracking System

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 4540 bytes --]

From: Michael Schierl <schierlm@gmx.de>
To: bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Emacs thinks the background-mode is "dark" on Windows, when registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors is empty
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 19:41:50 +0200

[...]

[-- Attachment #3: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 3627 bytes --]

From: Jason Rumney <jasonr@gnu.org>
To: Michael Schierl <schierlm@gmx.de>, 2969-done@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2009 00:23:32 +0800

Michael Schierl wrote:
> After a bit of investigation, I noticed that the registry key
> HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Colors
> did not have any values assigned. I don't know how this can happen, but
> it seems that Windows copes very well with that, I never had any
> incorrectly displayed program before.
>
> The WINAPI call GetSysColor(5) still returns 0xFFFFFF, as expected, so
> the background is drawn in white.

Thank you for the report.

Emacs does not use GetSysColor, as to do so would require hardcoding
system color names rather than reading them from the registry as it does
now. White is used as a fallback, because it is the default background
color for w32 frames.

I have changed frame-set-background-mode to take this into account
instead of falling through to the default of dark when non-existent
colors are specified.