The default value of confirm-nonexistent-file-or-buffer is after-completion however in its customisation interface, it is always displayed as Always. See the attached screen shot. I have tried changing its value from the drop down menu and it is correctly reflected in the string next to the menu. However, if you kill that buffer and re-enter it (for example via customize-variable), it will go back to 'always'. I think this may be a bug. GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2009-02-28 on BREPNB Best wishes, Leo