all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* emacs 23 - color-theme
@ 2009-08-09 21:59 Richard Riley
       [not found] ` <mailman.4254.1249857928.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-08-09 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

The color-theme with emacs 23 in debian unstable at least does not
work. Whats the best way to report this? Standard emacs development
mailing list?

color-theme-6.6.0 from tar worked ok even if the instrucions from make
did not. You need to follow the instructions in the README rather than
the make output.

* Re: emacs 23 - color-theme
@ 2009-08-09 22:45 ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found] ` <mailman.4254.1249857928.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-09 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Richard Riley<rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:

> The color-theme with emacs 23 in debian unstable at least does not
> work. Whats the best way to report this? Standard emacs development
> mailing list?
>
> color-theme-6.6.0 from tar worked ok even if the instrucions from make
> did not. You need to follow the instructions in the README rather than
> the make output.

Please see the suggestion here for using Emacs themes for this instead:

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-08/msg00356.html

This is already working, but some things will have to be improved.

BTW, someone said it would be good to make an elisp program for
translating color themes to this new format. Is anyone interested in
doing that?

* Re: emacs 23 - color-theme
       [not found] ` <mailman.4254.1249857928.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-09 23:04   ` Richard Riley
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4265.1249861849.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-08-09 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Richard Riley<rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> The color-theme with emacs 23 in debian unstable at least does not
>> work. Whats the best way to report this? Standard emacs development
>> mailing list?
>>
>> color-theme-6.6.0 from tar worked ok even if the instrucions from make
>> did not. You need to follow the instructions in the README rather than
>> the make output.
>
> Please see the suggestion here for using Emacs themes for this instead:
>
>    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-08/msg00356.html
>
> This is already working, but some things will have to be improved.

Like having some themes?!? Whats so good about this? Surely eaiser to
just make color-themes work as shipped than introducing yet another
"almost the same" package?

And it would be nice if color-theme-x could work too since using x
resources is so much faster than setting themes.

> BTW, someone said it would be good to make an elisp program for
> translating color themes to this new format. Is anyone interested in
> doing that?

* Re: emacs 23 - color-theme
@ 2009-08-09 23:50     ` Lennart Borgman
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4265.1249861849.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-09 23:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Richard Riley<rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On Sun, Aug 9, 2009 at 11:59 PM, Richard Riley<rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> The color-theme with emacs 23 in debian unstable at least does not
>>> work. Whats the best way to report this? Standard emacs development
>>> mailing list?
>>>
>>> color-theme-6.6.0 from tar worked ok even if the instrucions from make
>>> did not. You need to follow the instructions in the README rather than
>>> the make output.
>>
>> Please see the suggestion here for using Emacs themes for this instead:
>>
>>    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-08/msg00356.html
>>
>> This is already working, but some things will have to be improved.
>
> Like having some themes?!? Whats so good about this? Surely eaiser to
> just make color-themes work as shipped than introducing yet another
> "almost the same" package?

I think it is rather the other way round. There is already support for
theming in Emacs which is very good. This is for both faces and
options.

The theming inside Emacs lets you both select a theme as a base for
your faces while it also respects your customizations. Making it
possible to try out other peoples customizations this way is a goal
and it is rather close actually.

I can't see why this functionality should not be used. Does
color-theme have something similar? Or what functionality in
color-theme is important to you? Could it be layered on top of Emacs
themes?

>> BTW, someone said it would be good to make an elisp program for
>> translating color themes to this new format. Is anyone interested in
>> doing that?

* Re: emacs 23 - color-theme
       [not found]     ` <mailman.4265.1249861849.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-09 23:59       ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-08-09 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:04 AM, Richard Riley<rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Please see the suggestion here for using Emacs themes for this instead:
>>>
>>>    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2009-08/msg00356.html
>>>
>>> This is already working, but some things will have to be improved.
>>
>> Like having some themes?!? Whats so good about this? Surely eaiser to
>> just make color-themes work as shipped than introducing yet another
>> "almost the same" package?
>

> I think it is rather the other way round. There is already support for
> theming in Emacs which is very good. This is for both faces and
> options.

I never heard of emacs themes before today but color-themes are
documented in the wiki amongst other places.

> The theming inside Emacs lets you both select a theme as a base for
> your faces while it also respects your customizations. Making it

And why does color theme not? If your customisation is loaded after?

> possible to try out other peoples customizations this way is a goal
> and it is rather close actually.

I dont know what you mean Lennart. color-theme-select enables trying out
themes too.

> I can't see why this functionality should not be used. Does

I don't really understand what functionality you are referring to.

> color-theme have something similar? Or what functionality in
> color-theme is important to you? Could it be layered on top of Emacs
> themes?

You have lost me to be honest. What do you mean? Color-theme has, well,
color-themes. And a library of them.

* Re: emacs 23 - color-theme
@ 2009-08-10  0:50         ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-08-10  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 1:59 AM, Richard Riley<rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:

>> possible to try out other peoples customizations this way is a goal
>> and it is rather close actually.
>
> I dont know what you mean Lennart. color-theme-select enables trying out
> themes too.

Emacs themes goes in as a layer between the defaults vaues and your
customizations:

1)  Your customizations
2) The theme you have currently choosen
3) Emacs defaults

You can replace the theme in 2 without affecting your customizations.
(At the moment I do not think you can switch 1 and 2 but that would
also be very valueable for testing.)

So using emacs themes you can try themes other people send to you.
Both faces and options.

> You have lost me to be honest. What do you mean? Color-theme has, well,
> color-themes. And a library of them.

Sorry. Does the above explanation makes it more clear?