In article , Jason Rumney wrote: >On Jul 10, 9:45 am, dkco...@panix.com (David Combs) wrote: > >> But NTEMACS (the NT means the ancient "windows NT", the first windows os >> that you could get things like emacs to work on) -- apparently it's a >> *separate* emacs, specially hacked (not just compiled) for windows. > >You are confusing things. The native Windows port you are talking >about is not separate, and the name ntemacs is obsolete, since it was >merged with the main emacs repository almost 15 years ago. > >The version string "emacs 22.3.1 i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600" shows that the >OP is already using the native port, and not a cygwin build. I think we're agreeing, in a way. This thing I call NTEMACS (and googled for under that name and downloaded to xt) is definitely NOT a cygwin emacs. And, as you just said, M-x version said to this "NTemacs" gives: GNU Emacs 23.0.0.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2007-08-18 on TPAD Cygwin DOES have an emacs, under that very name, and I sure did NOT like it at all. Anyway, I got "ntemacs", and really like it. Goes full screen (the cygwin one wouldn't), for one. A biggie for me. Probably this same executable goes under several names? David