all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to set font for emacs
@ 2009-07-03 22:04 n179911
From: n179911 @ 2009-07-03 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I have added the following in my .emacs

(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
 '(autoface-default ((t (:inherit default :strike-through nil :underline nil :sl
ant normal :weight normal :height 130 :width normal :family "inconsolata"))))

)

But when I start emacs (open in my xterm, not a separate window), it
does not load the new font I specified.

Can you please tell me how to fix my problem?

Thank you.

* Re: How to set font for emacs
       [not found] <mailman.1785.1246675730.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-07-04  8:20 ` Marc Tfardy
From: Marc Tfardy @ 2009-07-04  8:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

n179911 schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> I have added the following in my .emacs
>
> (custom-set-faces
>   ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom.
>   ;; If you edit it by hand, you could mess it up, so be careful.
>   ;; Your init file should contain only one such instance.
>   ;; If there is more than one, they won't work right.
>  '(autoface-default ((t (:inherit default :strike-through nil :underline nil :sl
> ant normal :weight normal :height 130 :width normal :family "inconsolata"))))
>
> )
>
> But when I start emacs (open in my xterm, not a separate window), it
> does not load the new font I specified.
>
> Can you please tell me how to fix my problem?

I assume you start Emacs with "emacs -nw". So, this is absolutely
correct behaviour. In this case you must set fonts for xterm. You can do
this interactively for current session with SHIFT+right mouse button (or
middle mouse button, I can't remember) or permanently in your .Xresources
with:

xterm*font: FONT-DEFINITON-STRING

or

XTerm*font: FONT-DEFINITON-STRING