all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* configuration: how to make emacs re-parse code more quickly
@ 2003-09-17 14:22 Michael McFarland
From: Michael McFarland @ 2003-09-17 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

     Whenever I'm writing code (perl,python,c++, etc) in emacs (graphical) under emacs 21.2.1 under redhat/KDE, if I type a double-quote character and don't type another quote within 3-4 seconds, all code beneath that quote becomes colored as if it were part of a string.  What is annoying is this has happened and I type the closing quote, it takes another 3-4 seconds before my code goes back to normal.  Is there any way to configure emacs to detect that closing quote more quickly?  Or else, is there anything I can bind a key to that will manually re-parse the code and determine that the string is terminated?

    - Michael

* Re: configuration: how to make emacs re-parse code more quickly
       [not found] <mailman.354.1063808327.21628.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-17 14:58 ` Peter Lee
From: Peter Lee @ 2003-09-17 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Michael> What is annoying is this has happened and I type the
    Michael> closing quote, it takes another 3-4 seconds before my
    Michael> code goes back to normal.  Is there any way to configure
    Michael> emacs to detect that closing quote more quickly?  Or
    Michael> else, is there anything I can bind a key to that will
    Michael> manually re-parse the code and determine that the string
    Michael> is terminated?

There are 3 different font lock modes: fast, jit, and lazy.  I'm
guessing you are using lazy.  Do 'M-x customize-group RET font-lock'
and experiment with changing the font-lock-support-mode.  Then have a
look at that particular mode's settings.

You can manually fontify the buffer by doing:
'M-x font-lock-fontify-buffer', and you could bind that to a key if
all else fails.

@ 2003-09-17 15:15 ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-09-17 15:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Michael McFarland" <mcfarlandm@datalab.navy.mil> writes:

> Or else, is there anything I can bind a key to that will manually
> re-parse the code and determine that the string is terminated?

M-g M-g might be useful.

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: configuration: how to make emacs re-parse code more quickly
@ 2003-09-17 18:50   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2003-09-17 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Peter Lee wrote:

> There are 3 different font lock modes: fast, jit, and lazy.  I'm
> guessing you are using lazy.

My money's on jit-lock. :)

Something like

(setq jit-lock-stealth-time 10)

might help. There are other jit-lock params that can be fiddled with
- see docs for jit-lock-mode.