all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* about buffer local variables
@ 2004-08-15 15:53 Abishek K
From: Abishek K @ 2004-08-15 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

i tried to set the variable fill-column in my .emacs file using
(set-fill-column 120)
how ever there was no effect and the documentation says that
fill-column is buffer local.
and so, shows a global value of the default 70.
how do i change this?
i'd like to make fill-column globally 120.
bye
abi

--
"The truth is out there" -Xfiles
As far as the laws of mathematics refer to reality, they are not

* Re: about buffer local variables
@ 2004-08-15 16:28 ` Abishek K
From: Abishek K @ 2004-08-15 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,
i found this construct and it is working

(setq-default fill-column 120)
sorry for disturbing
bye
abi

--

       [not found] <mailman.1407.1092663872.2011.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-08-16 15:27 ` Miguel Frasson
From: Miguel Frasson @ 2004-08-16 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Abishek K <abishekk@gmail.com> writes:

> i tried to set the variable fill-column in my .emacs file using
> (set-fill-column 120)
> how ever there was no effect and the documentation says that
> fill-column is buffer local.
> and so, shows a global value of the default 70.
> how do i change this?
> i'd like to make fill-column globally 120.
> bye
> abi

Customize it

M-x customize-variable RET fill-column RET

--
Miguel Vinicius Santini Frasson
http://www.math.leidenuniv.nl/~frasson