all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs kill problem
@ 2009-05-03 10:38 Csaba
From: Csaba @ 2009-05-03 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

This seems like a bug - but I imagine
that it's been dealt with since my version,
21.3.1 from 2004-03-10 on Win XP Pro -
not sure how to search for it.

If I have the following line:
Marko Petkovšek
then emacs is very unhappy if I try
to kill the line (ctrl+k) or wipe it out
(ctrl+w).  Emacs will do it, but complain
(ring the bell) and it will not place the
removed entry into the yank buffer
(ie. doing ctrl+y will not recover it),
though I can undo the operation with
ctrl+x,u

In my emacs, that š appears as \232
(In other words I see "\232" (without
the quotes) and that is corresponds
to š)

Would someone please let me know
whether this has been fixed or if a but
report should be filed.

Thanks,
Csaba Gabor from Vienna

* Re: Emacs kill problem
@ 2009-05-03 13:12 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-05-03 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On May 3, 6:38 pm, Csaba <dans...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Would someone please let me know
> whether this has been fixed or if a but
> report should be filed.

There are too many possible variables for someone else to be able to
tell you that your problem is fixed. The only way is to try an up to
date Emacs yourself.

The latest version (22.3) can be downloaded from http://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/
and the current beta from http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/

* Re: Emacs kill problem
@ 2009-05-03 23:26 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-05-03 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Csaba; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Csaba <danswer@gmail.com> wrote:
> This seems like a bug - but I imagine
> that it's been dealt with since my version,
> 21.3.1 from 2004-03-10 on Win XP Pro -
> not sure how to search for it.
>
> If I have the following line:
> Marko Petkovšek
> then emacs is very unhappy if I try
> to kill the line (ctrl+k) or wipe it out
> (ctrl+w).  Emacs will do it, but complain
> (ring the bell) and it will not place the
> removed entry into the yank buffer
> (ie. doing ctrl+y will not recover it),
> though I can undo the operation with
> ctrl+x,u
>
> In my emacs, that š appears as \232
> (In other words I see "\232" (without
> the quotes) and that is corresponds
> to š)
>
> Would someone please let me know
> whether this has been fixed or if a but
> report should be filed.

I am sure it has been fixed. Please try the pretest for Emacs 23.
Binaries are available here if you do not want to compile it yourself:

   http://alpha.gnu.org/gnu/emacs/pretest/windows/

* Re: Emacs kill problem
@ 2009-05-29  0:18   ` David Combs
From: David Combs @ 2009-05-29  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)