all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
[parent not found: <200904280634.n3S6YctW009278@zogzog.maillard.mobi>]
* Re: python setup ?
@ 2009-04-29 22:25 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-04-29 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   http://ipython.scipy.org/moin/

   Some people dont like it saying its not "real python". You need to make
   up your own mind really.

Thank you. I installed it onto my home PC.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-04-29 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: superbobry; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

   On Apr 28, 2:43 pm, Bernardo <bernardo.ba...@pobox.com> wrote:
   > > Can anyone help me with python code folding please? I tried:
   > > * hs-minor-mode (doesn't work with python)
   > > * outline mode (it does the folding part, but is really buggy with
   > > python)
   >
   > i remember there was a hideshow problem introduced somewhere after v22.1
   > and i added this 'quick-n-dirty' hack into my .emacs
   >

   > however, version pre-23 seems to work without this ugly hack
   >
   > HTH

   Hello,
   I'm using 23.0 from, built from cvs. I tryed the hack above already,
   and it wasnt working 100% with me. Anyway, i managed to solve the
   problem using semantic (from CEDET tools).

Why not report this wrong behaviour to the emacs development team ?

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

[parent not found: <mailman.6159.1240901979.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
[parent not found: <mailman.6155.1240900544.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: python setup ?
@ 2009-04-28  6:34 Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-04-28  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Röhler; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, rileyrgdev

   Richard Riley wrote:
   > Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:
   >

   >> Richard Riley wrote:

   >>> Just to follow up, I re-enabled the ipython bit and it worked fine. I
   >>> had ipython 0.9.1 installed.
   >>>
   >>> The python config (for Linux) is then done in
   >>> ~/.ipython/ipy_user_conf.py
   >>>

   >> Hi,
   >>
   >> I've changed python-mode a little bit.
   >> Purpose was to make movements a little bit easier,
   >> more predictible.
   >>
   >> Comments welcome.
   >>
   >> BTW have a look at pydb from Rocky Bernstein, if not done already.
   >>
   >> Andreas
   >>

   > I see you have a pycomplete. Nicholaj Schum has jus put together a
   > company mode backend for pysmell. How does pycomplete compare to
   > pysmell?

   Thats part of the package kept by Barry Warsaw.  Made a branch from it,
   but changed only python-mode.el.

   I'm not sure to keep this files in my branch or not.

   Nonetheless, thanks for your question. I shall have a look at it and try
   an answer next days.

   BTW as more things are at stake as python-mode.el, what would you think
   about an archiv
   emacs-python, where all the stuff to edit python-code with emacs is
   collected?

I vote for this idea. A kind of "python starter kit" would be
very appreciated given how messy python (in emacs world) is... It
is practically impossible to understand which tool is good and
for what it is good.

	Xavier

From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-04-28  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Andreas Röhler <andreas.roehler@easy-emacs.de> writes:

   > Richard Riley wrote:
   > I've changed python-mode a little bit.
   > Purpose was to make movements a little bit easier,
   > more predictible.

   I see you have a pycomplete. Nicholaj Schum has jus put together a
   company mode backend for pysmell. How does pycomplete compare to
   pysmell?

How my gosh ! What are all these tools ? :/

	Xavier

From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-04-28  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Riley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

   Just to follow up, I re-enabled the ipython bit and it worked fine. I
   had ipython 0.9.1 installed.

Would you mind explaingin briefly what makes ipython so
attractive (compared to default bundled mode and/or with
python-mode).

Thank you.

	Xavier

From: Xavier Maillard @ 2009-04-28  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: thierry.volpiatto; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

   Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

   > I am starting to do some work with python. I am looking for
   > options/setups to introduce into my .emacs file to have the best
   > experience possible with this scripting language.
   >
   > Where should I start ?

   I personnaly use python-mode.el that is much better than python.el (that
   come with emacs).

In what is it better ?

   I use also ipython as python shell that integrate fine in emacs.

Phew, how many new dependances should I install in order to have
something simple to use ? :) I thought python was something for
beginners, it is not. I find it easier to play lisp...

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org