all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Fixing a window in place
@ 2009-04-29 10:18 Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-04-29 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

Is there any way of making a particular window persistent? I have an erc
window which obviously disappears when I do other things and I'd like to
keep a small window at the bottom of the screen so I can keep an eye on
it. Is there a function or hack to do this?

Thanks
Paul

* Re: Fixing a window in place
       [not found] <mailman.6239.1241000304.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-29 10:52 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-04-29 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi
>
> Is there any way of making a particular window persistent? I have an erc
> window which obviously disappears when I do other things and I'd like to
> keep a small window at the bottom of the screen so I can keep an eye on
> it. Is there a function or hack to do this?

You can store the window configuration in a register, and jump back to it.

But if you want to keep an eye on it, the best is to open another
frame, if you're using a window manager.

C-x 5 2    to create a new frame
C-x 5 o    to switch from one frame to the other.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Fixing a window in place
@ 2009-04-29 11:10 ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-04-29 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Mead; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 12:18 PM, Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Is there any way of making a particular window persistent? I have an erc
> window which obviously disappears when I do other things and I'd like to
> keep a small window at the bottom of the screen so I can keep an eye on
> it. Is there a function or hack to do this?

Maybe set-window-dedicated-p can help?

* Re: Fixing a window in place
@ 2009-04-29 11:15 ` Bernardo
From: Bernardo @ 2009-04-29 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hi
>
> Is there any way of making a particular window persistent? I have an erc
> window which obviously disappears when I do other things and I'd like to
> keep a small window at the bottom of the screen so I can keep an eye on
> it. Is there a function or hack to do this?
>
> Thanks
> Paul

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2007-05/msg00975.html

* Re: Fixing a window in place
@ 2009-04-29 11:19   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-04-29 11:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lennart Borgman; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> writes:

>> Is there any way of making a particular window persistent? I have an erc
>> window which obviously disappears when I do other things and I'd like to
>> keep a small window at the bottom of the screen so I can keep an eye on
>> it. Is there a function or hack to do this?
>

> Maybe set-window-dedicated-p can help?
I've tried that, but as far as I can tell, it dedicates the window to a
particular function, but doesn't stop it from being hidden by other
processes, I'm particularly referring to the org-mode agenda or gnus.

* Re: Fixing a window in place
@ 2009-04-29 11:24   ` Lennart Borgman
From: Lennart Borgman @ 2009-04-29 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bernardo.bacic; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 1:15 PM, Bernardo <bernardo.bacic@pobox.com> wrote:

>> Hi
>>
>> Is there any way of making a particular window persistent? I have an erc
>> window which obviously disappears when I do other things and I'd like to
>> keep a small window at the bottom of the screen so I can keep an eye on
>> it. Is there a function or hack to do this?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Paul
>

> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2007-05/msg00975.html

The doc string for set-window-dedicated-p says that using t for the
FLAG argument makes the window "strongly dedicated". The description
for what this actually mean is a bit vague, but it seems like it
better to use t in most cases.

* Re: Fixing a window in place
@ 2009-04-29 12:30   ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-04-29 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bernardo <bernardo.bacic@pobox.com> writes:

> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-gnu-emacs/2007-05/msg00975.html

I tried this too, thanks! Had same effect as using the dedicated
window. It looks like the second frame may be the only way to go.

* Re: Fixing a window in place
@ 2009-04-29 12:31   ` Paul Mead
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6248.1241008513.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-04-29 12:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

> But if you want to keep an eye on it, the best is to open another
> frame, if you're using a window manager.
>
> C-x 5 2    to create a new frame
> C-x 5 o    to switch from one frame to the other.
That does look like the best option in the absence of a way of making a
window persistent. Thanks.

* RE: Fixing a window in place
@ 2009-04-29 14:00     ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2009-04-29 14:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Paul Mead', help-gnu-emacs

> > But if you want to keep an eye on it, the best is to open another
> > frame, if you're using a window manager.
> > C-x 5 2    to create a new frame
> > C-x 5 o    to switch from one frame to the other.
>
> That does look like the best option in the absence of a way
> of making a window persistent. Thanks.

You can also use a thumbnail frame, which is as small as you like. Thumbify a
frame to follow what's happening from a distance ;-), and dethumbify it to see
close up. No matter how small the thumbnail is, you can still use it in every
way (search, highlight, follow dynamic process output, scroll...). It's like a
live icon.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FisheyeWithThumbs

* Re: Fixing a window in place
@ 2009-04-29 14:32       ` Paul Mead
From: Paul Mead @ 2009-04-29 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> You can also use a thumbnail frame, which is as small as you like. Thumbify a
> frame to follow what's happening from a distance ;-), and dethumbify it to see
> close up. No matter how small the thumbnail is, you can still use it in every
> way (search, highlight, follow dynamic process output, scroll...). It's like a
> live icon.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FisheyeWithThumbs
That's incredibly cool, I'll have to look into that, thanks!

* Re: Fixing a window in place
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6248.1241008513.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-29 16:57     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-29 16:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:

> pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:
>

>> But if you want to keep an eye on it, the best is to open another
>> frame, if you're using a window manager.
>>
>> C-x 5 2    to create a new frame
>> C-x 5 o    to switch from one frame to the other.
> That does look like the best option in the absence of a way of making a
> window persistent. Thanks.

You might also use the excellent elscreen package. e.g I have gnus on
screen 1, gdb on 2, erc on 3 and "general pottering" on 0.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EmacsLispScreen

* Re: Fixing a window in place
       [not found]   ` <mailman.6248.1241008513.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-04-30 23:47   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2009-04-30 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> Paul Mead <paul.d.mead@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Is there any way of making a particular window persistent? I have an erc
>> window which obviously disappears when I do other things and I'd like to
>> keep a small window at the bottom of the screen so I can keep an eye on
>> it. Is there a function or hack to do this?
>
> You can store the window configuration in a register, and jump back to it.
>
> But if you want to keep an eye on it, the best is to open another
> frame, if you're using a window manager.
>
> C-x 5 2    to create a new frame
> C-x 5 o    to switch from one frame to the other.

Also, frob special-display-buffer-names.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA