all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Gnus not working in Emacs-Snapshot
@ 2009-04-15 23:14 Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2009-04-15 23:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8, Size: 1581 bytes --]

Hello

I've just installed Emacs-Snapshot on Debian Lenny. The current version
is 23.0.91.1.

Gnus is not working in that version. Is this a known problem?

Here is the debug message:

,----
| Debugger entered--Lisp error: (error "Invalid buffer type: if")
|   signal(error ("Invalid buffer type: if"))
|   error("Invalid buffer type: %s" if)
|   gnus-all-windows-visible-p((vertical 1.0 (group 1.0 point) (if gnus-carpal (quote ...))))
|   gnus-configure-windows(group)
|   byte-code("\b.„.\0	.„.\0.† .ˆ.‚Q.Ã.Ã.!.ˆ.‰\n!.\f.„.\0.Â.!.Ã. .ˆ.\x1a.ƒ+.Ã.Ã.Ã.\".ˆ.‹.ÂŽ.\".ˆ..‘.^[\b#.ˆ.‡.Â’!.ˆ.“ .ˆ.”.^[!.ˆ.• .ˆ.–.—!.ˆ.˜ .ˆ.‡.™!.ˆч" [dont-connect did-connect gnus-startup-file gnus-current-startup-file gnus-slave gnus-use-dribble-file gnus-group-quit gnus-run-hooks gnus-startup-hook gnus-make-newsrc-file gnus-dribble-read-file gnus-request-create-group "queue" (nndraft "") "drafts" (nndraft "") gnus-setup-news nil gnus-setup-news-hook gnus-start-draft-setup gnus-group-list-groups gnus-group-first-unread-group gnus-configure-windows group gnus-group-set-mode-line gnus-started-hook gnus-agent level] 4)
|   gnus-1(nil nil nil)
|   gnus(nil)
|   call-interactively(gnus t nil)
|   execute-extended-command(nil)
|   call-interactively(execute-extended-command nil nil)
`----

Thanks for help.

Sven

--
Sven Bretfeld
      \ CEntrum für

* Re: Gnus not working in Emacs-Snapshot
@ 2009-04-16  7:11 ` Tassilo Horn
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5450.1239888413.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Tassilo Horn @ 2009-04-16  7:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

Hi Sven,

> I've just installed Emacs-Snapshot on Debian Lenny. The current
> version is 23.0.91.1.

I don't use that snapshop, but the error looks like you've set a invalid
gnus-buffer-configuration for group.  What does

  (let ((eval-expression-print-level nil)
        (eval-expression-print-length nil))
     (assoc 'group gnus-buffer-configuration)) ;; <= C-x C-e here!

return?

> Gnus is not working in that version. Is this a known problem?

Not that I know of.  Another problem might be that you have some
byte-compiled gnus related files, that were compiled with on older emacs
version.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
For Richard Stallman, polynomial time is O(1).

* Re: Gnus not working in Emacs-Snapshot
@ 2009-04-16 13:26   ` Sven Bretfeld
       [not found]   ` <mailman.5450.1239888413.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2009-04-16 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> Gnus is not working in that version. Is this a known problem?
>
> Not that I know of.  Another problem might be that you have some
> byte-compiled gnus related files, that were compiled with on older emacs
> version.

Thanks Tassilo. I found the problem in the meantime. It's a
Debian-related problem. Here ist the bug report:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnus/+bug/293711

Gnus is working fine if one uninstalls Debian's gnus package and uses
the build-in version coming with emacs-snapshot.

Greetings,

Sven
--

@ 2009-04-16 13:40     ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-16 13:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Sven Bretfeld" <sven.bretfeld@gmx.ch> writes:

> Tassilo Horn <tassilo@member.fsf.org> writes:
>
>>> Gnus is not working in that version. Is this a known problem?
>>
>> Not that I know of.  Another problem might be that you have some
>> byte-compiled gnus related files, that were compiled with on older emacs
>> version.
>
> Thanks Tassilo. I found the problem in the meantime. It's a
> Debian-related problem. Here ist the bug report:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnus/+bug/293711
>
> Gnus is working fine if one uninstalls Debian's gnus package and uses
> the build-in version coming with emacs-snapshot.
>
> Greetings,
>
> Sven

Did you consider cvs version? No problem with emacs 23 gnus that comes
from cvs with emacs.

sidenote : I got frustrated with the debian "mess" and totally removed
emacs from debian (ubuntu is based on debian) and now just use cvs emacs
and manually downloaded anything else I needed. Whenever I had an issue
with Debian emacs and asked in #emacs irc, people would run a mile. It's
a lot nicer to have this "self contained" emacs environment than having
to figure out how or what Debian is doing.

* Re: Gnus not working in Emacs-Snapshot
@ 2009-04-16 18:56     ` Reiner Steib
From: Reiner Steib @ 2009-04-16 18:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: Romain Francoise

In this bug, Romain Francoise (Cc-ed) wrote:

| No. If the Gnus version shipped in the gnus package doesn't work
| with Emacs 23 then it should be fixed (but I haven't had any reports
| of this problem before, so it's perhaps a local issue on the
| reporter's machine). It's an old development version (No Gnus v0.5),
| so maybe it just needs to be updated to a newer release.

The problem is definitely not a local issue, see
<http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/94543/focus=66779>.
Emacs 23 (and up) packages should be used with No Gnus (or Gnus 5.12
when it will be released in the future) or older.  Users of the Emacs
development version (Emacs 23) are strongly encouraged to also use the
version of Gnus bundled with Emacs.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)

* Re: Gnus not working in Emacs-Snapshot
@ 2009-04-19 18:21       ` Sven Bretfeld
From: Sven Bretfeld @ 2009-04-19 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> writes:

> Did you consider cvs version? No problem with emacs 23 gnus that comes
> from cvs with emacs.

The Emacs-snapshot package is a special build of CVS-Emacs for Debian
hosted at http://emacs.orebokech.com.

> sidenote : I got frustrated with the debian "mess" and totally removed
> emacs from debian (ubuntu is based on debian) and now just use cvs emacs
> and manually downloaded anything else I needed. Whenever I had an issue
> with Debian emacs and asked in #emacs irc, people would run a mile. It's
> a lot nicer to have this "self contained" emacs environment than having
> to figure out how or what Debian is doing.

Yes, I know the problem since Etch was still testing (and also on
Ubuntu). But I never had real problems since I use Emacs-snapshot. I'm
quite happy with this package and the current problems are solved now,
since I deinstalled the gnus-package of Debian.

Thanks for all your help

Sven