all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* gnus is just slow when dealing with more than 5000 articles
@ 2009-04-05 12:40 Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-04-05 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

hello,

Does anybody know some gnus tricks to make it faster when dealing with a
group with a lot of articles ?

The time to fetch headers from the news server is ok but the time to
summarise the buffer is way too long. The same when trying to filter the
summary buffer.

Thunderbird deals with 17000 articles and all operations (searching,
sorting in threaded view...) is almost instantaneous.

thanks
--
Francis

* Re: gnus is just slow when dealing with more than 5000 articles
@ 2009-04-05 14:31 ` Leo
       [not found] ` <mailman.4650.1238942112.31690.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2009-04-05 14:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-04-05 13:40 +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
> hello,
>
> Does anybody know some gnus tricks to make it faster when dealing with a
> group with a lot of articles ?
>
> The time to fetch headers from the news server is ok but the time to
> summarise the buffer is way too long. The same when trying to filter the
> summary buffer.
>
> Thunderbird deals with 17000 articles and all operations (searching,
> sorting in threaded view...) is almost instantaneous.

It might be a bug. Make a reproducible recipe and report it to its
developers.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .: I use Emacs :.

               www.git-scm.com
    git - the one true version control system

@ 2009-04-05 14:54   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2009-04-05 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2009-04-05 13:40 +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
>> hello,
>>
>> Does anybody know some gnus tricks to make it faster when dealing with a
>> group with a lot of articles ?
>>
>> The time to fetch headers from the news server is ok but the time to
>> summarise the buffer is way too long. The same when trying to filter the
>> summary buffer.
>>
>> Thunderbird deals with 17000 articles and all operations (searching,
>> sorting in threaded view...) is almost instantaneous.
>
> It might be a bug. Make a reproducible recipe and report it to its
> developers.

Easy : open a group with a few hundred articles. It takes an appreciable
amount of time. I never thought of it as a bug though - merely an elisp
overhead combined with formatting overheads.

@ 2009-04-05 18:37     ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2009-04-05 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2009-04-05 15:54 +0100, Richard Riley wrote:
>> It might be a bug. Make a reproducible recipe and report it to its
>> developers.
>
> Easy : open a group with a few hundred articles. It takes an appreciable
> amount of time. I never thought of it as a bug though - merely an elisp
> overhead combined with formatting overheads.

I opened the emacs-devel group which has a vast number of articles, it
didn't take long tho.

--

@ 2009-04-06  3:06 ` Andy Stewart
From: Andy Stewart @ 2009-04-06  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> hello,
>
> Does anybody know some gnus tricks to make it faster when dealing with a
> group with a lot of articles ?
>
> The time to fetch headers from the news server is ok but the time to
> summarise the buffer is way too long. The same when trying to filter the
> summary buffer.
>
> Thunderbird deals with 17000 articles and all operations (searching,
> sorting in threaded view...) is almost instantaneous.
>
> thanks
Setup gnus just read 100 news, then it will be fast.

(setq gnus-large-newsgroup 100)

And then use function `gnus-group-read-group-no-prompt' read newsgroup,
and then gnus will open 100 news directly and won't prompt you.

(defun gnus-group-read-group-no-prompt ()
  "Read news in this newsgroup and don't prompt.
Use the value of `gnus-large-newsgroup'."
  (interactive)
  (gnus-group-read-group gnus-large-newsgroup))

Enjoy!

  -- Andy

@ 2009-04-07 11:12   ` Francis Moreau
From: Francis Moreau @ 2009-04-07 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

[ Sorry for the delay... ]

On Apr 5, 4:31 pm, Leo <sdl....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 2009-04-05 13:40 +0100, Francis Moreau wrote:
> > Does anybody know some gnus tricks to make it faster when dealing with a
> > group with a lot of articles ?
>
> > The time to fetch headers from the news server is ok but the time to
> > summarise the buffer is way too long. The same when trying to filter the
> > summary buffer.
>
> > Thunderbird deals with 17000 articles and all operations (searching,
> > sorting in threaded view...) is almost instantaneous.
>
> It might be a bug. Make a reproducible recipe and report it to its
> developers.

Well, it's easy enough:

I just open the "gmane.linux.kernel" newsgroup (obviously the new
server here is gname). When gnus asks for how many articles  from this
group I want, I just answer 10000 (yes ten thousand).

So now wait for the summary buffer to appear. Once it's done, you can
play with the limiting article commands for example (like / s to limit
to articles with a particular subject). And normally you can notice
that gnus is almost unusable.

This is with threaded view:
      (setq gnus-thread-sort-functions '(gnus-thread-sort-by-most-
recent-date))

This is with Gnus v5.13 on a quad core with 2 Go...

Thanks