all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs on WinXP and Italian keyboard
@ 2009-03-26 15:57 Andrea Taverna
From: Andrea Taverna @ 2009-03-26 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello everyone,

I've installed Emacs w32 port on my windows box and I've got the following problem.
My keyboard has an Italian-105-keys layout and no '~' character on it. Under X I
type AltGr+ì to get the character but on windows I need to enter the ASCII
sequence as (IIRC) Alt+126. Problem is that Alt is already caught by Emacs as
meta character.

How can I fix the problem? It would be nice if I could set the X layout on WinXP.

Do you know other advices for using Emacs on WinXP?

thanks in advance,

Andrea Taverna

* Re: Emacs on WinXP and Italian keyboard
@ 2009-03-29  2:17 B. T. Raven
From: B. T. Raven @ 2009-03-29  2:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Alternatively, if you put the following in your .emacs

(setq w32-recognize-altgr nil)

(define-key global-map  (kbd "C-M-ì")  (lambda () (interactive) (insert
  ?~ )))

then Altgr-igrave will produce a tilde. Whether that's a good idea or
not is another question. I don't have an Altgr key unless I install the
Italian keyboard and I don't know what else it's used for. I have
w32-recognize-altgr set at t, which is, I think the default. I've never
changed it before.

Ed