all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Trying to set an abbreviation in a custom mode
@ 2008-12-08  2:40 Davin Pearson
       [not found] ` <mailman.2197.1228716190.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Davin Pearson @ 2008-12-08  2:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I tried the following code to get "sop" as an abbreviation for
"System.out.println" in a custom mode but it doesn't appear to work:

(define-abbrev global-abbrev-table "sop" "System.out.println(")

Another alternative would be for me to import java-mode-abbrev-table
into the current mode.  Any hints on how to do this?

Here is my version info (from M-x report-emacs-bug)

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-03-27 on RELEASE
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

* Re: Trying to set an abbreviation in a custom mode
@ 2008-12-08  6:03 ` Ian Eure
       [not found] ` <mailman.2197.1228716190.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Ian Eure @ 2008-12-08  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Davin Pearson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Mike Ashmore

On Dec 7, 2008, at 6:40 PM, Davin Pearson wrote:

> I tried the following code to get "sop" as an abbreviation for
> "System.out.println" in a custom mode but it doesn't appear to work:
>
> (define-abbrev global-abbrev-table "sop" "System.out.println(")

If you enable abbrev-mode in your buffer, you get bindings to define
abbrevs:

C-x a l - `add-mode-abbrev' (define abbrev for sexp at point)
C-x a i l - `inverse-add-mode-abbrev' (define expansion for sexp at
point)

  - Ian

@ 2008-12-08  9:51   ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2008-12-08  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 8, 7:03 pm, Ian Eure <i...@digg.com> wrote:
> C-x a l - `add-mode-abbrev' (define abbrev for sexp at point)
> C-x a i l - `inverse-add-mode-abbrev' (define expansion for sexp at
> point)

This is not helpful because I want to add the abbreviation
programmatically, that is to say automatically every time I run Emacs.

C-h f add-mode-abbrev says:

Don't use this function in a Lisp program; use `define-abbrev'
instead.

I am stuck because I don't know how to get java-mode-abbrev-table into
my custom mode.

Please help me!

* Re: Trying to set an abbreviation in a custom mode
@ 2008-12-08  9:57     ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2008-12-08  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Dec 8, 10:51 pm, Davin Pearson <davin.pear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am stuck because I don't know how to get java-mode-abbrev-table into
> my custom mode.

I get it..  you need to call (abbrev-mode) to define the abbrev minor
mode.

Thanx for your help anyway.

* Re: Trying to set an abbreviation in a custom mode
@ 2008-12-09 14:22       ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-12-09 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Davin Pearson wrote:
> On Dec 8, 10:51 pm, Davin Pearson <davin.pear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I am stuck because I don't know how to get java-mode-abbrev-table into
>> my custom mode.
>
> I get it..  you need to call (abbrev-mode) to define the abbrev minor
> mode.

Just to be safe: (abbrev-mode 1)

--
Kevin Rodgers