all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Clipboard and emacs inside a terminal
@ 2008-11-11 11:35 Mauricio
From: Mauricio @ 2008-11-11 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I'm using emacs in text mode instead of X. I
realized all 'clipboard-*' functions do not seem
to work. Is there something I could do about it?
Does that depends on the terminal emulator I'm
using ('mlterm' is what I'm using now)?

Thanks,
Maurício

* Re: Clipboard and emacs inside a terminal
@ 2008-11-11 12:27 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-11 12:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauricio; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.11.2008 um 12:35 schrieb Mauricio:

> I'm using emacs in text mode instead of X. I
> realized all 'clipboard-*' functions do not seem
> to work. Is there something I could do about it?

Yes: launch it as client of a windowing system!

--
Greetings

   Pete

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is the day they
start selling vacuum cleaners.
				– Ernest Jan Plugge

* Re: Clipboard and emacs inside a terminal
@ 2008-11-11 12:47   ` Mauricio
From: Mauricio @ 2008-11-11 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> I'm using emacs in text mode instead of X. I
>> realized all 'clipboard-*' functions do not seem
>> to work. Is there something I could do about it?
>
> Yes: launch it as client of a windowing system!

That's what I used to do, but I had worst problems
there. So, what I do now is to launch emacs out
of the terminal emulator to use clipboard. But as
far as I understand an application running inside
xterm or any other emulator have access to the
same API any other application has. So, why is this
a problem for emacs? Isn't it possible to "see"
X when you are running from a terminal? But then
how any other application I run from a shell would
be able to do that?

@ 2008-11-11 16:48     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-11 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mauricio; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.11.2008 um 13:47 schrieb Mauricio:

> But then how any other application I run from a shell would be able
> to do that?

Because they're clients of the X server, *they are served by the X
server*. GNU Emacs in xterm or any other terminal emulation is client
of this terminal emulation. So teach that bloody terminal emulation
to serve GNU Emacs properly!

--
Greetings

   Pete