Alan Mackenzie writes: >> For historical reasons, emacs does not use any keybindings involving >> the Shift with a letter. (e.g. there's no ???Meta Shift a???, or ???Control >> Shift a???) This is so because in early computing environment, Ctrl+Shift >> +???letter??? cannot be distinguished from the non-Shift version, due to a >> practical combination of ASCII???, Computer terminal???, telnet???. > > Even today, these combinations are only usable on some of Emacs's target > environments, so it's not a brilliant idea to make standard bindings out > of them. However, that leaves a massive amount of space for personal key > bindings. They're awkward to type, though. > Indeed. I'm reading (and writing) this using gnus. On emacs. On a machine about 8 miles away. Using ssh with cygwin (eugh). Because of some weird problems with cygwin deleting frames if you accidentally mouse-2 on them (!), I'm using the new multiheaded emacs and emacsclient -nw. Anyway, stuff Ctrl-Shift-blah. For me, Ctrl-h is indistinguishable from DEL! Rupert