all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How can I reload etags project path
@ 2008-11-03 15:50 yinglcs
From: yinglcs @ 2008-11-03 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

In my .emacs I have defined the etags project path like this:

(defvar etags-project-path "/media/storage/working" "*Base path for
your project")

(require 'etags)
(setq tags-file-name (expand-file-name "TAGS" etags-project-path))

After i open emacs, how can i point to a different project path,let's
say i have multiple project etag files, how can i switch dynamically?

Thank you.

* Re: How can I reload etags project path
@ 2008-11-03 15:56 ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-11-03 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"yinglcs@gmail.com" <yinglcs@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> In my .emacs I have defined the etags project path like this:
>

> (defvar etags-project-path "/media/storage/working" "*Base path for
> your project")
>
> (require 'etags)
> (setq tags-file-name (expand-file-name "TAGS" etags-project-path))
>
> After i open emacs, how can i point to a different project path,let's
> say i have multiple project etag files, how can i switch dynamically?
>
> Thank you.

visit-tags-table

,----
| visit-tags-table is an interactive autoloaded Lisp function in
| `etags.el'.
|
| It is bound to <menu-bar> <edit> <goto> <set-tags-name>.
|
| (visit-tags-table file &optional local)
|
| Tell tags commands to use tags table file file.
| file should be the name of a file created with the `etags' program.
| A directory name is ok too; it means file TAGS in that directory.
|
| Normally M-x visit-tags-table sets the global value of `tags-file-name'.
| With a prefix arg, set the buffer-local value instead.
| When you find a tag with M-., the buffer it finds the tag
| in is given a local value of this variable which is the name of the tags
| file the tag was in.
`----

* Re: How can I reload etags project path
@ 2008-11-03 16:03 ` Sébastien Vauban
From: Sébastien Vauban @ 2008-11-03 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi yinglcs,

> In my .emacs I have defined the etags project path like this:
>
> (defvar etags-project-path "/media/storage/working" "*Base path for
> your project")
>
> (require 'etags)
> (setq tags-file-name (expand-file-name "TAGS" etags-project-path))
>
> After i open emacs, how can i point to a different project
> path,let's say i have multiple project etag files, how can i
> switch dynamically?

Use:

(require 'sure-tags)

which will make sure that tags file exists (and builds it if it
doesn't), allowing you to first rebuild the tags file or specify
a new one when the search fails.

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban

* Re: How can I reload etags project path
@ 2008-11-03 16:52   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-11-03 16:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Sébastien Vauban <zthjwsqqafhv@spammotel.com> writes:

> Hi yinglcs,
>
>> In my .emacs I have defined the etags project path like this:
>>
>> (defvar etags-project-path "/media/storage/working" "*Base path for
>> your project")
>>
>> (require 'etags)
>> (setq tags-file-name (expand-file-name "TAGS" etags-project-path))
>>
>> After i open emacs, how can i point to a different project
>> path,let's say i have multiple project etag files, how can i
>> switch dynamically?
>
> Use:
>
> (require 'sure-tags)
>
> which will make sure that tags file exists (and builds it if it
> doesn't), allowing you to first rebuild the tags file or specify
> a new one when the search fails.
>
> Seb

Looking up tags again (I use etags and cscope currently) I see this page:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TagsFile#toc2

And wonder if anyone here extended GNU Global to include elisp?

It seems such a waste and confusion to have a "official GNU tags system"
which does not appear to support the language its flagship product uses!

According to the home page it supports:

support C, C++, Yacc, Java and PHP4.

Anyone here using it and can recommend it?

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation of the evils and damages by the technology of yesterday.  ~Dennis Gabor, Innovations:  Scientific, Technological and Social, 1970

* Re: How can I reload etags project path
@ 2008-11-03 18:17 ` Scott Frazer
From: Scott Frazer @ 2008-11-03 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

yinglcs@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In my .emacs I have defined the etags project path like this:
>

> (defvar etags-project-path "/media/storage/working" "*Base path for
> your project")
>
> (require 'etags)
> (setq tags-file-name (expand-file-name "TAGS" etags-project-path))
>
> After i open emacs, how can i point to a different project path,let's
> say i have multiple project etag files, how can i switch dynamically?
>
> Thank you.

I just released something to do this:

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EtagsTable

* Re: How can I reload etags project path
@ 2008-11-03 18:44   ` Richard Riley
From: Richard Riley @ 2008-11-03 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Scott Frazer <frazer.scott@gmail.com> writes:

> yinglcs@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> In my .emacs I have defined the etags project path like this:
>>

>> (defvar etags-project-path "/media/storage/working" "*Base path for
>> your project")
>>
>> (require 'etags)
>> (setq tags-file-name (expand-file-name "TAGS" etags-project-path))
>>
>> After i open emacs, how can i point to a different project path,let's
>> say i have multiple project etag files, how can i switch dynamically?
>>
>> Thank you.
>
> I just released something to do this:
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/EtagsTable

I must admit to be being, not for the first time, a little confused
between the tags option available in emacs. Discounting the use of GNU
Global (no elisp) support, I have used in the past (on debian) something
like

,----
| SRC=~/.emacs.d
| cd $SRC
| ctags-exuberant  -e --recurse=yes --links=yes --verbose=no
`----

to generate tags. But the info page for ctags-exuberant lists ctags and
etags. But these are different programs which do not take the same
parameters? Any clarification from someone much appreciated.