all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to make "C-x 4" command work better for widescreen monitor
@ 2008-10-28 18:59 Pony
From: Pony @ 2008-10-28 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When we run the command "C-x 4 f", which will open a new file in a new
buffer under the current one,
the Emacs will cut the whole window into two vertical ones, each takes
50% space of the screen.

However at present more and more people begin to use widescreen tft
monitor for programming,
in my opinion it will be much better that, after we run "C-x 4"
commands the Emacs cut the whole screen into two HORIZONTALL screens.

Of course, people could open a new file first with "C-x 4 f" command,
and close it, and run "C-x 3" command to cut the whole screen
horizontally and show it in the second window. But it takes some
operations, which will be happened frequently when programming.

Is there a fast and direct way to make all the "C-x 4" commands
default cut the window HORIZONTALLY, or not?
Especially when you're compiling, make the compiling result show in
the window right to the code window!!

Hope for your answers.

* Re: How to make "C-x 4" command work better for widescreen monitor
@ 2008-10-28 22:37 ` Xah
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Xah @ 2008-10-28 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 28, 11:59 am, Pony <lingyu.ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> When we run the command "C-x 4 f", which will open a new file in a new
> buffer under the current one,
> the Emacs will cut the whole window into two vertical ones, each takes
> 50% space of the screen.
>
> However at present more and more people begin to use widescreen tft
> monitor for programming,
> in my opinion it will be much better that, after we run "C-x 4"
> commands the Emacs cut the whole screen into two HORIZONTALL screens.
>
> Of course, people could open a new file first with "C-x 4 f" command,
> and close it, and run "C-x 3" command to cut the whole screen
> horizontally and show it in the second window. But it takes some
> operations, which will be happened frequently when programming.
>
> Is there a fast and direct way to make all the "C-x 4" commands
> default cut the window HORIZONTALLY, or not?
> Especially when you're compiling, make the compiling result show in
> the window right to the code window!!
>
> Hope for your answers.

I'm not sure there is a easy customization for this. I checked source
for find-file-other-window, which leads to switch-to-buffer-other-
window, which leads to display-buffer. I think it is with display-
buffer where you set how you want the windows split.

However, you could easily write a function that does what you want by
calling split-window-horizontally. (let us know if you really just
want this)

i actually never use find-file-other-window (Ctrl+x 4 f).
I find it easier just to split the win yourself then open any buffer
you want. This gives you much control and useful in many situations.
All you need is some fast shortcuts.

Basically, you want a fast key to split window, to split window, and
one to switch cursor among the window.

On the qwerty layout, i have them as:

Alt+2 ⇒ split window top/bottom
Alt+Shift+2 ⇒ split window side by side

Alt+1 ⇒ unsplit window
Alt+Shift+1 ⇒ unsplit by removing current pane

Alt+s ⇒ move cursor to other pane other-window

these will get you a long way.

if you like them, you can find the implementation and other setup
here:
http://xahlee.org/emacs/ergonomic_emacs_keybinding.html

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 5+ messages in thread

* Re: How to make "C-x 4" command work better for widescreen monitor
@ 2008-10-29  7:28 ` Aliaksey Kandratsenka
From: Aliaksey Kandratsenka @ 2008-10-29  7:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Oct 28, 8:59 pm, Pony <lingyu.ma...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> When we run the command "C-x 4 f", which will open a new file in a new
> buffer under the current one,
> the Emacs will cut the whole window into two vertical ones, each takes
> 50% space of the screen.
>
> However at present more and more people begin to use widescreen tft
> monitor for programming,
> in my opinion it will be much better that, after we run "C-x 4"
> commands the Emacs cut the whole screen into two HORIZONTALL screens.

Hi. Sorry for not answering your original question, but I'd like to
express my opinion on widescreen monitors for development.
I think that for typical code with few long lines it makes more sense
to use 'tallscreen' monitors than widescreen. That way more useful
information will fit into screen.

At home I have usual monitor which can be rotated to portrait mode. I
have used portrait mode (with corresponding image rotation via xrandr,
of course) several times for programming and this seems like good
option.

Aliaksey

* Re: How to make "C-x 4" command work better for widescreen monitor
@ 2008-10-29 15:49 ` Giorgos Keramidas
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2008-10-29 15:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 11:59:02 -0700 (PDT), Pony <lingyu.ma.fu@googlemail.com> wrote:
> When we run the command "C-x 4 f", which will open a new file in a new
> buffer under the current one, the Emacs will cut the whole window into
> two vertical ones, each takes 50% space of the screen.
>
> However at present more and more people begin to use widescreen tft
> monitor for programming, in my opinion it will be much better that,
> after we run "C-x 4" commands the Emacs cut the whole screen into two
> HORIZONTALL screens.
>
> Of course, people could open a new file first with "C-x 4 f" command,
> and close it, and run "C-x 3" command to cut the whole screen
> horizontally and show it in the second window. But it takes some
> operations, which will be happened frequently when programming.
>
> Is there a fast and direct way to make all the "C-x 4" commands
> default cut the window HORIZONTALLY, or not?  Especially when you're
> compiling, make the compiling result show in the window right to the
> code window!!

Emacs 23.X does this automatically if the current display width is
larger than a customizable threshold:

,---[ C-h v split-width-threshold RET ]--------------------------------
| split-width-threshold is a variable defined in `window.el'.
| Its value is 160
|
| Documentation:
| Minimum width of window to be split horizontally.
| If the value is a number, `display-buffer' can split a window
| only if it has at least as many columns.  If the value is nil,
| `display-buffer' cannot split a window horizontally.
|
| You can customize this variable.
|
| This variable was introduced, or its default value was changed, in
| version 23.1 of Emacs.

Unfortunately, I don't have an Emacs 22.X installation handy today, so
it may be worth checking if your version of Emacs includes this option.

* Re: How to make "C-x 4" command work better for widescreen monitor
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2008-10-29 17:32 ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-10-29 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs