rustom writes: > For this to be quite successful one needs --- > 1. emacs running as a server -- easily done with (server-start) > 2. emacs to be quietly background-able, ie disappear without being > visible on the desktop. This is not possible because delete-frame > refuses to delete the last frame. In my view delete-frame should > quietly delete the frame if server is running. if not and its the last > frame it should chain to save-buffers-kill-emacs. > 3. emacs to be understood as a service by the OS. This means it must > be compiled and follow the expected convention of service (for > windows) or daemon (for unices). > > 3 would give maximum convenience but at least 2 is necessary for easy > 'service-able' usage (in my humble opinion) I believe one can get emacs to "go away completely" using the Multi-tty version (which is either a branch or in trunk CVS), but I haven't tried that yet myself. What I've been using for quite some time is detailed on the EmacsWiki [1], and seems to work pretty well. It basically does what you describe at the end of 2). Rupert [1] http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/RupertSwarbrick#toc1