all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Speedbar
@ 2005-08-08 23:41 chris
From: chris @ 2005-08-08 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Hopefully a quicky.  How do you quickly switch between a definition in
the speed bar and the code it points at, to edit it?  It takes you to
the code fine with 'e' or RET, but the speedbar still has focus.  Is
there a quick way to change from the keyboard?

Cheers,
Chris

* Re: Speedbar
@ 2005-08-10 12:57 ` Eric Ludlam
From: Eric Ludlam @ 2005-08-10 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

>>> chris <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> seems to think that:
>Hi,
>
>Hopefully a quicky.  How do you quickly switch between a definition in
>the speed bar and the code it points at, to edit it?  It takes you to
>the code fine with 'e' or RET, but the speedbar still has focus.  Is
>there a quick way to change from the keyboard?

Hi,

  e or RET should also switch the focus to the location that was
jumped to.  If you have this suggested speedbar binding active:

   (global-set-key [(f4)] 'speedbar-get-focus)

  and pressing f4 does not switch between frames, then the problem is
likely involved in your window manager.

Eric

--
Eric Ludlam                    The MathWorks x 7556  eludlam@mathworks.com
http://www.siege-engine.com                       http://www.mathworks.com

* Re: Speedbar
@ 2005-08-10 13:16   ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2005-08-10 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Ludlam <eludlam@mathworks.com> writes:

>>Hi,
>>
>>Hopefully a quicky.  How do you quickly switch between a definition in
>>the speed bar and the code it points at, to edit it?  It takes you to
>>the code fine with 'e' or RET, but the speedbar still has focus.  Is
>>there a quick way to change from the keyboard?
>
> Hi,
>
>   e or RET should also switch the focus to the location that was
> jumped to.  If you have this suggested speedbar binding active:
>
>    (global-set-key [(f4)] 'speedbar-get-focus)
>
>   and pressing f4 does not switch between frames, then the problem is
> likely involved in your window manager.

focus-follows-mouse's value is t

*Non-nil if window system changes focus when you move the mouse.
You should set this variable to tell Emacs how your window manager
handles focus, since there is no way in general for Emacs to find out
automatically.

You can customize this variable.

Defined in `frame'.

[back]

* Re: Speedbar
@ 2005-08-10 13:26   ` chris
From: chris @ 2005-08-10 13:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric Ludlam wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   e or RET should also switch the focus to the location that was
> jumped to.  If you have this suggested speedbar binding active:
>
>    (global-set-key [(f4)] 'speedbar-get-focus)
>
>   and pressing f4 does not switch between frames, then the problem is
> likely involved in your window manager.

:(

It only highlights it.  The speedbar still keeps focus.  F4 won't switch
between frames.

I'm running Kubuntu Hoary with kde 3.4 and X.org.  I'm not sure what
toolkit this system builds emacs21 with.  Tried removing everything from
.emacs to see if it was a conflicting setting.

sigh.

Thanks.

* Re: Speedbar
@ 2005-08-10 14:29     ` chris
From: chris @ 2005-08-10 14:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

David Kastrup wrote:
> Eric Ludlam <eludlam@mathworks.com> writes:
>

> focus-follows-mouse's value is t
 >
> *Non-nil if window system changes focus when you move the mouse.
> You should set this variable to tell Emacs how your window manager
> handles focus, since there is no way in general for Emacs to find out
> automatically.

Thanks, that worked!!!

* speedbar
@ 2008-11-19  6:39 tomer
From: tomer @ 2008-11-19  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is it possible to embed the speedbar frame in the main frame as a
window?

* Re: speedbar
@ 2008-11-19 21:30 ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2008-11-19 21:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:39:07 -0800, tomer wrote:

> Is it possible to embed the speedbar frame in the main frame as a
> window?

Yes, I found a page on emacs-wiki that does that. I've tried it and it
does work, but it seems quite fragile. When you change windows and
buffers, you might lose the speedbar shape of the window. YMMV.

I guess there would be ways to ensure that the speedbar window is always
where it is supposed to be but that is beyond my current abilities.

Here's the link.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/sr-speedbar.el

Shelagh

* Re: speedbar
@ 2008-11-19 21:39   ` Shelagh Manton
From: Shelagh Manton @ 2008-11-19 21:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 19 Nov 2008 21:30:07 +0000, Shelagh Manton wrote:

> On Tue, 18 Nov 2008 22:39:07 -0800, tomer wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to embed the speedbar frame in the main frame as a
>> window?
>
> Yes, I found a page on emacs-wiki that does that. I've tried it and it
> does work, but it seems quite fragile. When you change windows and
> buffers, you might lose the speedbar shape of the window. YMMV.
>
> I guess there would be ways to ensure that the speedbar window is always
> where it is supposed to be but that is beyond my current abilities.
>
> Here's the link.
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs/sr-speedbar.el
>
> Shelagh

Ps I revisited the sr-speedbar.el and it looks like some work has been
done to fix my issue with the speedbar.

* speedbar
@ 2011-11-14 15:06 Feverati
From: Feverati @ 2011-11-14 15:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi

someone does know why speedbar (M-x speedbar) enlighten commented
functions (in C++), namely functions fully enclosed in /* */ ?
Is it a wanted feature? It looks strange
I use emacs 23.2.1 on linux fedora 14.

Thank you

Giovanni

* speedbar
@ 2016-02-15 18:21 rjd
From: rjd @ 2016-02-15 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Can I customize sr-speedbar such that when I open a file in the tree the
newly opened buffer becomes active.

Since I run a hook function that relies on buffer-file-name and the active
buffer remains in the sr-speedbar window, then buffer-file-name is nil. What
I want is the new buffer to be active so the hook will function correctly.

Unless there is a variable that sr-speedbar uses to store the path of the
selected file, then I guess I could use that.

Cheers.

* Re: speedbar
@ 2016-02-16  1:02 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2016-02-16  1:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rjd <3246251196ryan@gmail.com> writes:

> Can I customize sr-speedbar such that when I open
> a file in the tree the newly opened buffer
> becomes active.
>
> Since I run a hook function that relies on
> buffer-file-name and the active buffer remains in
> the sr-speedbar window, then buffer-file-name is
> nil. What I want is the new buffer to be active so
> the hook will function correctly.
>
> Unless there is a variable that sr-speedbar uses to
> store the path of the selected file, then I guess
> I could use that.

I don't use sr-speedbar but yes, it should come with
that, otherwise it is bad. Make a search with
`apropos' and perhaps `apropos-value' (with the buffer
name as the value).

If it isn't there you could ask the speedbar people
where it is.

As a last effort you can fetch the data which
I suppose is found in the speedbar buffer -
`thing-at-point' - and reconstruct the complete data
that way.

But I'd consider that a secondary plan because those
operations are always error-prone. They are considered
hacks, probably for good reasons. The only case when
they are the exact right thing to do is when they
work flawlessly!

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573