all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* create emails from dairy entries
@ 2008-06-10 14:10 reader
From: reader @ 2008-06-10 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I didn't do any research on this ... mainly because I drew a blank
trying to think where or how to start.

It may be old hat to someone here:

  Can I cause an email to be sent from the Emacs Diary when Appts or
  other events roll around?

Are there examples of doing this posted somewhere?

* Re: create emails from dairy entries
@ 2008-06-11  2:52 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-06-11  2:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> I didn't do any research on this ... mainly because I drew a blank
> trying to think where or how to start.
>
> It may be old hat to someone here:
>
>   Can I cause an email to be sent from the Emacs Diary when Appts or
>   other events roll around?

You could try setting appt-display-format to `window', and then
set appt-disp-window-function to do something completely unrelated
to its purpose like sending email.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* RE: create emails from dairy entries
@ 2008-06-11  3:19 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-06-11  3:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: reader, help-gnu-emacs

You need to install Moo Mail.

(Sorry; couldn't resist.)

* Re: create emails from dairy entries
@ 2008-06-11  6:49 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2008-06-11  6:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

reader@newsguy.com writes:

> I didn't do any research on this ... mainly because I drew a blank
> trying to think where or how to start.
>
> It may be old hat to someone here:
>
>   Can I cause an email to be sent from the Emacs Diary when Appts or
>   other events roll around?
>
> Are there examples of doing this posted somewhere?

I've been using such a script:

,----
| #!/bin/sh
|
| /usr/local/bin/emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs.el -eval '(org-batch-agenda ":")' \
|   | mail you@erewhon.org
`----

Please refer to `org-batch-agenda' for details.  If you don't use Org,
you can use a diary function instead of `org-batch-agenda'.

--
Bastien

* Re: create emails from dairy entries
@ 2008-06-11 13:38   ` reader
From: reader @ 2008-06-11 13:38 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> You need to install Moo Mail.
>
> (Sorry; couldn't resist.)

Hey, thats bs   : )

* Re: create emails from dairy entries
@ 2008-06-11 13:54   ` reader
From: reader @ 2008-06-11 13:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>> I didn't do any research on this ... mainly because I drew a blank
>> trying to think where or how to start.
>>
>> It may be old hat to someone here:
>>
>>   Can I cause an email to be sent from the Emacs Diary when Appts or
>>   other events roll around?
>
> You could try setting appt-display-format to `window', and then
> set appt-disp-window-function to do something completely unrelated
> to its purpose like sending email.

Leaving the corral for a moment:

I find appt-display-format in emacs manual with index search.  One hit
only...but looking for further descriptions with
`M-x apropos appt-display-format
  or
`C-h v appt-display-format'

shows no-match.. perhaps I need to have some specific package loaded?

Further the emacs manual at `39.11 Appointments':

Doesn't contain enough information for me to figure out how to do
this.  I say `for me', that is, it may have plenty enough info for
someone more knowledgeable.

* Re: create emails from dairy entries
@ 2008-06-11 14:02   ` reader
From: reader @ 2008-06-11 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> reader@newsguy.com writes:
>
>> I didn't do any research on this ... mainly because I drew a blank
>> trying to think where or how to start.
>>
>> It may be old hat to someone here:
>>
>>   Can I cause an email to be sent from the Emacs Diary when Appts or
>>   other events roll around?
>>
>> Are there examples of doing this posted somewhere?
>
> I've been using such a script:
>
> ,----
> | #!/bin/sh
> |
> | /usr/local/bin/emacs -batch -l ~/.emacs.el -eval '(org-batch-agenda ":")' \
> |   | mail you@erewhon.org
> `----
>
> Please refer to `org-batch-agenda' for details.  If you don't use Org,
> you can use a diary function instead of `org-batch-agenda'.

So are you using cron to read that function every few hours then?  Or
does the script get run from emacs diary somehow?

I guess `diary-mail-entries' only sends all diary entries for a specific
number of days... so not usefull for getting a mail alert about a
specific event?

* Re: create emails from dairy entries
@ 2008-06-12  3:12     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-06-12  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> I find appt-display-format in emacs manual with index search.  One hit
> only...but looking for further descriptions with
> `M-x apropos appt-display-format
>   or
> `C-h v appt-display-format'
>
> shows no-match.. perhaps I need to have some specific package loaded?
>
> Further the emacs manual at `39.11 Appointments':
>
> Doesn't contain enough information for me to figure out how to do
> this.  I say `for me', that is, it may have plenty enough info for
> someone more knowledgeable.

Do what I did: read the source (calendar/appt.el.gz)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: create emails from dairy entries
@ 2008-06-13 12:42       ` reader
From: reader @ 2008-06-13 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>> I find appt-display-format in emacs manual with index search.  One hit
>> only...but looking for further descriptions with `M-x apropos
>> appt-display-format   or `C-h v appt-display-format'
>>
>> shows no-match.. perhaps I need to have some specific package loaded?
>>
>> Further the emacs manual at `39.11 Appointments':
>>
>> Doesn't contain enough information for me to figure out how to do
>> this.  I say `for me', that is, it may have plenty enough info for
>> someone more knowledgeable.
>
> Do what I did: read the source (calendar/appt.el.gz)

You mean what you did after years and years (How mamy? 20 more?)  of
learning and using emacs and lisp?

Looking thru appt.el at all the hits with appt-display-format does not
help in any way.

appt-display-format doesn't even appear in calendar.el

But thanks for your input.

* Re: create emails from dairy entries
@ 2008-06-14 13:07         ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-06-14 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

reader@newsguy.com wrote:
> Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>>> I find appt-display-format in emacs manual with index search.  One hit
>>> only...but looking for further descriptions with `M-x apropos
>>> appt-display-format   or `C-h v appt-display-format'
>>>
>>> shows no-match.. perhaps I need to have some specific package loaded?

In retrospect, yes: you need to have appt loaded.

>>> Further the emacs manual at `39.11 Appointments':
>>>
>>> Doesn't contain enough information for me to figure out how to do
>>> this.  I say `for me', that is, it may have plenty enough info for
>>> someone more knowledgeable.
>> Do what I did: read the source (calendar/appt.el.gz)
>
> You mean what you did after years and years (How mamy? 20 more?)  of
> learning and using emacs and lisp?

Yep, 25 years.

> Looking thru appt.el at all the hits with appt-display-format does not
> help in any way.

Sure it does: Its doc string explains that it can be set to 1 of 3
values (window, echo, nil).  And the appt-display-message function
runs the function bound to appt-disp-window-function when
appt-display-message is set to window.

> appt-display-format doesn't even appear in calendar.el

Yes, but `C-h v appt-display TAB TAB' shows appt-display-diary among
*Completions*, and selecting that displays *Help* with a link to
appt.el.  Follow that link, then you can `C-s appt-display-format
C-s C-s C-s ...'.

> But thanks for your input.

You're welcome.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: create emails from dairy entries
@ 2008-06-18 13:07           ` reader
From: reader @ 2008-06-18 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> reader@newsguy.com wrote:
>> Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> In retrospect, yes: you need to have appt loaded.

>>> Do what I did: read the source (calendar/appt.el.gz)
>>
>> You mean what you did after years and years (How mamy? 20 more?)  of
>> learning and using emacs and lisp?
>
> Yep, 25 years.
>
>> Looking thru appt.el at all the hits with appt-display-format does not
>> help in any way.
>
> Sure it does: Its doc string explains that it can be set to 1 of 3
> values (window, echo, nil).  And the appt-display-message function
> runs the function bound to appt-disp-window-function when
> appt-display-message is set to window.
>
>> appt-display-format doesn't even appear in calendar.el
>
> Yes, but `C-h v appt-display TAB TAB' shows appt-display-diary among
> *Completions*, and selecting that displays *Help* with a link to
> appt.el.  Follow that link, then you can `C-s appt-display-format
> C-s C-s C-s ...'.
>
>> But thanks for your input.
>
> You're welcome.

OK, I see this stuff now... but I'm so confused now.. I still have no
idea how to make an email get sent when an appt date rolls around.

Too bone headed by far I'm sure... but throwing in the towel for now.
Again, thanks for the input and patient baby setting.