all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Tramp under Windoze:  should "semicommercial"  SSH2 work?
@ 2008-05-17 17:16 George McBane
From: George McBane @ 2008-05-17 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have Emacs under WinXP running (GNU Emacs 22.2.1
(i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)) and would like to use TRAMP
in ssh mode.  I have two versions of ssh:
1) Cygwin OpenSSH (and I realize that one isn't supposed to work), and
2) the command-line SSH2 that comes with SSH Secure Shell version 3.2.9
from SSH Communications Security Corp.  This is the
free noncommercial version they used to distribute from their
website, and that is still available from several other sites.

 From a normal Windows command shell I can use
ssh2 -l username machine.domain
and get a normal password prompt that succeeds and
gives me a shell prompt right away.

Should I be able to use the ssh2 program as an inline method in TRAMP?
The definition of tramp-methods indicates that there is a method
ssh2_old that uses ssh2 as its connection program.  So I put
in my .emacs
(setq tramp-default-method "ssh2_old")

But, when I try to edit a remote file, I don't succeed.
I do ^x^f /username@machine.domain:~/path/file
and get in the message line "tramp: waiting 60s for prompt from remote
shell", which never succeeds or times out.

If someone can give me suggestions about how to set this up,
I'd appreciate it.  I see that the usual advice appears to be
"use PuTTY and the plink method", which I'll do if necessary,
but I'd rather not install yet another ssh application if I can
help it.

TIA,
George.

* Re: Tramp under Windoze:  should "semicommercial"  SSH2 work?
@ 2008-05-17 19:22 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.11796.1211135988.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-05-17 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: mcbaneg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 17.05.2008 um 19:16 schrieb George McBane:

> I do ^x^f /username@machine.domain:~/path/file

Try /ssh:username@machine.domain:~/path/file! Otherwise plink from
PuTTY works.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Well done is better than well said.
				– Benjamin Franklin

* Re: Tramp under Windoze:  should "semicommercial"  SSH2 work?
@ 2008-05-18 18:39 ` Michael Albinus
       [not found] ` <mailman.11796.1211135988.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-05-18 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: mcbaneg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

George McBane <mcbaneg@gvsu.removethis.edu> writes:

> Should I be able to use the ssh2 program as an inline method in TRAMP?
> The definition of tramp-methods indicates that there is a method
> ssh2_old that uses ssh2 as its connection program.  So I put
> in my .emacs
> (setq tramp-default-method "ssh2_old")
>
> But, when I try to edit a remote file, I don't succeed.
> I do ^x^f /username@machine.domain:~/path/file
> and get in the message line "tramp: waiting 60s for prompt from remote
> shell", which never succeeds or times out.

There shall be a buffer *tramp/ssh2_old username@machine.domain*. Could
you, please, show its contents?

> TIA,
> George.

Best regards, Michael.

@ 2008-05-18 19:14   ` George McBane
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11829.1211183537.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: George McBane @ 2008-05-18 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Albinus wrote:
> George McBane <mcbaneg@gvsu.removethis.edu> writes:
>
>> Should I be able to use the ssh2 program as an inline method in TRAMP?
>> The definition of tramp-methods indicates that there is a method
>> ssh2_old that uses ssh2 as its connection program.  So I put
>> in my .emacs
>> (setq tramp-default-method "ssh2_old")
>>
>> But, when I try to edit a remote file, I don't succeed.
>> I do ^x^f /username@machine.domain:~/path/file
>> and get in the message line "tramp: waiting 60s for prompt from remote
>> shell", which never succeeds or times out.
>
> There shall be a buffer *tramp/ssh2_old username@machine.domain*. Could
> you, please, show its contents?

Once I have tried to connect, and received the "waiting 60s.." message,
Emacs is unresponsive.  I cannot switch to another buffer.  If I do ^G,
control returns, and the buffer you name is there.  But it's empty.

Thanks,

@ 2008-05-19  7:53     ` Michael Albinus
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11829.1211183537.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-05-19  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: mcbaneg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

George McBane <mcbaneg@gvsu.removethis.edu> writes:

> Once I have tried to connect, and received the "waiting 60s.." message,
> Emacs is unresponsive.  I cannot switch to another buffer.  If I do ^G,
> control returns, and the buffer you name is there.  But it's empty.

Could you, please, evaluate before the test

   (setq tramp-verbose 10)

If you run Tramp 2.0, you need also

   (setq tramp-debug-buffer t)

Rerun the test. There will be another buffer *debug tramp/ssh2_old
username@machine.domain*, which might explain to us what happens.

> Thanks,
> George.

Best regards, Michael.

@ 2008-05-19 14:27       ` George McBane
From: George McBane @ 2008-05-19 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Albinus wrote:

> Could you, please, evaluate before the test
>    (setq tramp-verbose 10)
> If you run Tramp 2.0, you need also
>    (setq tramp-debug-buffer t)
>
> Rerun the test. There will be another buffer *debug tramp/ssh2_old
> username@machine.domain*, which might explain to us what happens.

After I do ^G to regain control, the "tramp" buffer is empty but the
"debug" buffer contains (I'm having some trouble with special characters
in the newsreader)

# Looking for regexp "^.*\([pP]assword\|passphrase\).*:^@? *" from remote shell
# Looking for regexp ".*ogin\( .*\)?: *" from remote shell
# Looking for regexp "^[^#$%>
]*[#$%>] *" from remote shell
# Looking for regexp "^[^#$%>
]*[#$%>] *\(^[\[[0-9;]*[a-zA-Z] *\)*" from remote shell
# Looking for regexp "^.*\(Connection \(?:\(?:clo\|refu\)sed\)\|Host key verification failed\.\|Login \(?:[Ii]ncorrect\)\|Name or service not known\|\(?:Permission denied\|Sorry, try again\)\.\).*\|^.*\(Received signal [0-9]+\).*" from remote shell
# Looking for regexp "\(Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)\?\)\s-*" from remote shell
# Looking for regexp "\(\(?:Store key in cache\? (y/\|Update cached key\? (y/n, Return cancels connectio\)n)\)\s-*" from remote shell
# Looking for regexp "\(TERM = (.*)\|Terminal type\? \[.*\]\)\s-*" from remote shell
# Looking for regexp "" from remote shell

If I open an ordinary Command Prompt shell under Windows and type
ssh2 -l username machine.domain

I get a password prompt:

username's password:  (and I type it in)

I then get a welcome message that lists the last unsuccessful login, the last login,
a "Welcome" banner, followed by

ds001 %

which is the shell prompt.  So this works as expected.

@ 2008-05-20 10:02         ` Michael Albinus
From: Michael Albinus @ 2008-05-20 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: mcbaneg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

George McBane <mcbaneg@gvsu.removethis.edu> writes:

> After I do ^G to regain control, the "tramp" buffer is empty but the
> "debug" buffer contains (I'm having some trouble with special characters
> in the newsreader)

Unfortunately, it is not the whole debug buffer contents. Could you,
please, send the whole buffer (after starting a fresh Emacs, and
rerunning the test)? I would also need to see the non-ASCII
characters, so it would be preferrable if you could append the debug
buffer to your mail as enclosure, base64-coded or so.

> If I open an ordinary Command Prompt shell under Windows and type ssh2
> -l username machine.domain
>
> I get a password prompt:
>
> username's password:  (and I type it in)
>
> I then get a welcome message that lists the last unsuccessful login, the last login,
> a "Welcome" banner, followed by
>
> ds001 %
>
> which is the shell prompt.  So this works as expected.

I would also like to see this complete dialogue.

> Thanks,
> George.

Best regards, Michael.