all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* which-function-mode + visual-basic-mode?
@ 2008-05-16 22:10 David Wolff
       [not found] ` <mailman.11865.1211251654.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Wolff @ 2008-05-16 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

Emacs 22.2.  which-function-mode does the right thing for Emacs Lisp
files and other modes that I don't remember off-hand, but not for
visual-basic-mode... nothing shows up in the mode line even after ESC-:
(which-function-mode 1).  Any ideas?

Thanks --

David

(Remove "xx" to reply.)

* Re: which-function-mode + visual-basic-mode?
@ 2008-05-20  2:47 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.11865.1211251654.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-05-20  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Wolff wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Emacs 22.2.  which-function-mode does the right thing for Emacs Lisp
> files and other modes that I don't remember off-hand, but not for
> visual-basic-mode... nothing shows up in the mode line even after ESC-:
> (which-function-mode 1).  Any ideas?

Hmmm, `M-x apropos RET visual-basic RET' says:

No apropos matches for `visual-basic'

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2008-05-23  1:31   ` David Wolff
       [not found]     ` <mailman.12074.1211514209.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: David Wolff @ 2008-05-23  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.11865.1211251654.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Kevin Rodgers  <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> wrote:
> David Wolff wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Emacs 22.2.  which-function-mode does the right thing for Emacs Lisp
>> files and other modes that I don't remember off-hand, but not for
>> visual-basic-mode... nothing shows up in the mode line even after ESC-:
>> (which-function-mode 1).  Any ideas?
>
> Hmmm, `M-x apropos RET visual-basic RET' says:
>
> No apropos matches for `visual-basic'

Right, I found visual-basic-mode somewhere on that internet thingy.  I
took a look at which-func.el but it's not very clear how it figures out
the current function -- sort of looks like imenu magic.  So how does
which-func work correctly for several programming modes but not
visual-basic-mode?

@ 2008-05-23  3:43     ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found]     ` <mailman.12074.1211514209.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-05-23  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

David Wolff wrote:
> In article <mailman.11865.1211251654.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
> Kevin Rodgers  <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> wrote:
>> David Wolff wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Emacs 22.2.  which-function-mode does the right thing for Emacs Lisp
>>> files and other modes that I don't remember off-hand, but not for
>>> visual-basic-mode... nothing shows up in the mode line even after ESC-:
>>> (which-function-mode 1).  Any ideas?
>> Hmmm, `M-x apropos RET visual-basic RET' says:
>>
>> No apropos matches for `visual-basic'
>
> Right, I found visual-basic-mode somewhere on that internet thingy.  I
> took a look at which-func.el but it's not very clear how it figures out
> the current function -- sort of looks like imenu magic.  So how does
> which-func work correctly for several programming modes but not
> visual-basic-mode?

The first thing I see in which-func.el is that you'll need to add
visual-basic-mode to which-func-modes, and perhaps to
which-func-non-auto-modes.

If visual-basic-mode support imenu, then you should be good to go.
And if beginning-of-defun works in that mode, that might be good
enough.

Otherwise, you could try defining a function that returns the name
of the current function in visual-basic-mode, then assign that to
which-func-functions (actually, use add-hook with non-nil LOCAL arg).

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

@ 2008-06-11  0:39       ` David Wolff
From: David Wolff @ 2008-06-11  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In article <mailman.12074.1211514209.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Kevin Rodgers  <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> wrote:
> David Wolff wrote:
>> In article <mailman.11865.1211251654.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
>> Kevin Rodgers  <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Hmmm, `M-x apropos RET visual-basic RET' says:
>>>
>>> No apropos matches for `visual-basic'
>>
>> Right, I found visual-basic-mode somewhere on that internet thingy.  I
>> took a look at which-func.el but it's not very clear how it figures out
>> the current function -- sort of looks like imenu magic.  So how does
>> which-func work correctly for several programming modes but not
>> visual-basic-mode?
>
> The first thing I see in which-func.el is that you'll need to add
> visual-basic-mode to which-func-modes, and perhaps to
> which-func-non-auto-modes.
>
> If visual-basic-mode support imenu, then you should be good to go.
> And if beginning-of-defun works in that mode, that might be good
> enough.
>
> Otherwise, you could try defining a function that returns the name
> of the current function in visual-basic-mode, then assign that to
> which-func-functions (actually, use add-hook with non-nil LOCAL arg).

Well, I looked at this some more, and it's looking more complicated than
I have time for.  I was hoping that a simple answer existed (especially
since which-func is not exactly crucial).

Kevin, thanks for your effort on this.

-- David