all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Revised lisp/progmodes/flymake.el
@ 2004-11-19 15:37 CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2004-11-19 15:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Reading FOR-RELEASE, I fuond it's desirable to revise flymake.el to
conform with Emacs Lisp Coding Conventions. Though my ELISP knowledge is
very limited, I think I can have a try for this too hard job.

Attached is a revised flymake.el. What I have done includes:
1. Removed XEmacs compatibility code. I think it does not make sense to
maintain XEmacs compatibility with Emacs bundled files.

2. Following Coding Conventions to remove close-parentheses on lines by
   themselves.

3. Restructure and rewrite document strings to tips for documentation
   strings.
But for some functions that I dont know their purposes, I just
capitalized the first letter and add period at the end.

4. Add eval-when-compile to one occurence or (require 'compile).

5. To accomodate documentation string, I changed function
flymake-get-common-path-prefix from
flymake-get-common-path-prefix (string-one string-two)
flymake-get-common-path-prefix (path1 path2)
and change the code to use new arg names.

Though as an ELISP newbie, I think flymake.el is coded badly. Just wish
my work can be help to real gurus to make a clean file.
At least there is no compilation errors/warnings for my revised file.

[-- Attachment #2: flymake.el --]

这去者,不能见他的脸,背影模糊。

* Re: Revised lisp/progmodes/flymake.el
@ 2004-11-19 15:51 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2004-11-19 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> writes:

> Reading FOR-RELEASE, I fuond it's desirable to revise flymake.el to
> conform with Emacs Lisp Coding Conventions. Though my ELISP knowledge is
> very limited, I think I can have a try for this too hard job.
>
> Attached is a revised flymake.el. What I have done includes:
> 1. Removed XEmacs compatibility code. I think it does not make sense to
> maintain XEmacs compatibility with Emacs bundled files.

flymake.el lists a maintainer at the head of the package.  Decisions
like that should be left to the maintainer, because it might simplify
his work (for example, if he wants to provide a working version from a
single source).

I don't know whether the mention of the maintainer is correct and up
to date, but you probably should contact him to make sure.

* Re: Revised lisp/progmodes/flymake.el
@ 2004-11-19 16:03   ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2004-11-19 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

>From flymake main site (http://flymake.sf.net/), I found latest stable
release is 0.2 which is one year ago. Last cvs checkin is 7 months ago
with version as 0.3, which is what in Emacs CVS. I dont know if author
will upgrade.
Anyway I'll send this revised version to the author.

Thank you for pointing this.

--
相濡以沫,不如相忘于江湖。

* Re: Revised lisp/progmodes/flymake.el
@ 2004-11-19 16:54 ` CHENG Gao
From: CHENG Gao @ 2004-11-19 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

*On Fri, 19 Nov 2004 23:37:26 +0800
* CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com> climbed out of the dark hell and cried out:

> 4. Add eval-when-compile to one occurence or (require 'compile).

Please forgive me. I found I made a mistake. Functions from compile.el
are needed at run time. So it's wrong to wrap (require 'compile) in
eval-when-compile.
Sorry for my stupidity.

--
"When the government fears the people, you have liberty.
 When the people fear the government, you have tyranny."

* Re: Revised lisp/progmodes/flymake.el
@ 2004-11-20 10:05     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2004-11-20 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Pavel Kobiakov, emacs-devel

> From: CHENG Gao <chenggao@gmail.com>
> Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2004 00:03:06 +0800
>
> From flymake main site (http://flymake.sf.net/), I found latest stable
> release is 0.2 which is one year ago. Last cvs checkin is 7 months ago
> with version as 0.3, which is what in Emacs CVS. I dont know if author
> will upgrade.

That's because, when the author (CC'ed) submitted FlyMake for
inclusion in Emacs, I asked him to fix some of the more serious
problems with the code, which he did prior to CVS checkin.

> Anyway I'll send this revised version to the author.

Yes, please do that.

Pavel, if you decide to use only some of the suggested changes, please
post the diffs for those changes only to this list.

TIA

* Re: Revised lisp/progmodes/flymake.el
@ 2004-11-21  1:10 ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2004-11-21  1:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

    Attached is a revised flymake.el. What I have done includes:
    1. Removed XEmacs compatibility code. I think it does not make sense to
    maintain XEmacs compatibility with Emacs bundled files.

We don't want to do that unless Pavel likes it.

    2. Following Coding Conventions to remove close-parentheses on lines by
       themselves.

    3. Restructure and rewrite document strings to tips for documentation
       strings.
    But for some functions that I dont know their purposes, I just
    capitalized the first letter and add period at the end.

These are changes we do want to make, since they directly follow
coding conventions.

    4. Add eval-when-compile to one occurence or (require 'compile).

If that's correct (I don't know), it is a good change.

    5. To accomodate documentation string, I changed function
    flymake-get-common-path-prefix from
    flymake-get-common-path-prefix (string-one string-two)
    flymake-get-common-path-prefix (path1 path2)
    and change the code to use new arg names.

That is an improvement.

However, under GNU conventions, these should not be called
"paths" at all.  They are file names, or so it appears.
That's another change that should be made, but perhaps not now.