all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#6859: [rob.dickens@lafros.com: corrected .emacs snippet for merging your own Info files]
@ 2010-08-14 22:23 Karl Berry
From: Karl Berry @ 2010-08-14 22:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 6859

I received this report on bug-texinfo.  Is this correct?  If so, it
seems sad that a recommendation that has been around forever (the
"currently" in Rob's msg) no longer works, but if it has to be, it has
to be.  Please advise ...

Thanks,
Karl

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 2010 14:30:54 +0100
From: Rob Dickens <rob.dickens@lafros.com>
To: bug-texinfo@gnu.org
Subject: corrected .emacs snippet for merging your own Info files

Dear maintainer,

I found that what's suggested in the following section of the Texinfo manual doesn't work:

21.2.3 Info Files in Other Directories

* currently:

(require 'info)
(setq Info-directory-list
      (cons (expand-file-name "/home/bob/info")
            Info-directory-list))

* should be:

(add-hook 'Info-mode-hook
	  '(lambda ()
	     (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list
			  (expand-file-name "~/info"))))

Best regards,

Rob
http://lafros.com

* bug#6859: [rob.dickens@lafros.com: corrected .emacs snippet for merging your own Info files]
@ 2010-08-16 18:30 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-08-16 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karl Berry; +Cc: 6859

> * currently:
>
> (require 'info)
> (setq Info-directory-list
>       (cons (expand-file-name "/home/bob/info")
>             Info-directory-list))

That has been incorrect since at least Emacs 21.4 (I didn't look at
older versions).

> * should be:
>
> (add-hook 'Info-mode-hook
> 	  '(lambda ()
> 	     (add-to-list 'Info-directory-list
> 			  (expand-file-name "~/info"))))

That will work, but the advice in doc/misc/info.texi in Emacs seems
better:

  If you wish to customize the Info directory search list for both
  Emacs Info and stand-alone Info, it is best to set the
  @env{INFOPATH} environment variable, since that applies to both
  programs.

Then you don't have to worry about Emacs-specific stuff in the texinfo
documentation.

* bug#6859: [rob.dickens@lafros.com: corrected .emacs snippet for merging your own Info files]
@ 2010-09-01 18:14   ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2010-09-01 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 6859-done

I am closing this because there does not seem to be an Emacs bug.