all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* first copy & paste not working
@ 2008-05-02  1:35 Joe Bloggs
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-05-02  1:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I have the following lines my .emacs file for supporting cut & paste between applications:

(mouse-sel-mode 1)
(setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
(setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value)

However, after starting emacs, the first cut/copy from within emacs is not recognized. In other words, the first time I do a yank, it pastes whatever I last copied outside emacs, even if I just did a cut/copy within emacs. I can only yank my emacs text if I repeat the emacs cut/copy, othewise it just keeps yanking the external text.
Can anyone help?

* Re: first copy & paste not working
@ 2008-05-02 14:09 ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found] ` <mailman.11085.1209737396.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-02 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:

> I can only yank my emacs text if I repeat the emacs cut/copy, othewise
> it just keeps yanking the external text. Can anyone help?

Hi Joe, good to see you again.

Which Emacs version and operating system are you using (specifically
which Unix?)?

I used Emacs 23 from CVS, updated weekly (except this week!), and I have
no problems whatsoever copying between Emacs and xterm or Firefox, with
no tweaking of clipboard variables.  Can anyone comment on this?

Perhaps you should upgrade.

Thanks,
Joel

--
Joel J. Adamson
Biostatistician

The information transmitted in this electronic communication is intended only
for the person or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
use of or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or
information in error, please contact the Compliance HelpLine at 800-856-1983 and
properly dispose of this information.

* Re: first copy & paste not working
@ 2008-05-02 17:31 ` Mike Treseler
       [not found] ` <mailman.11085.1209737396.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Mike Treseler @ 2008-05-02 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Bloggs wrote:
> I have the following lines my .emacs file for supporting cut & paste between applications:
>
> (mouse-sel-mode 1)
> (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
> (setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value)

I don't set these, but happen to have
t, nil, nil
as values right now.

> However, after starting emacs, the first cut/copy from within emacs is not recognized. In other words, the first time I do a yank, it pastes whatever I last copied outside emacs, even if I just did a cut/copy within emacs. I can only yank my emacs text if I repeat the emacs cut/copy, othewise it just keeps yanking the external text.
> Can anyone help?

I don't have this problem, but every once in a while,
I will have the opposite problem where my center
mouse button will paste an old emacs kill instead
of the text I just marked in some other X-app.

My work around is to bring up gedit and mark
some text and center button it into emacs.
For some reason, this clears the problem, and
my X-mouse cut/paste into emacs will work again.

I am using 21.3.1, but will be upgrading
soon to whatever SUSE 10.1 has.

         -- Mike Treseler

@ 2008-05-02 18:45   ` Joe Bloggs
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11202.1209996421.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-05-02 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:
>
>> I can only yank my emacs text if I repeat the emacs cut/copy, othewise
>> it just keeps yanking the external text. Can anyone help?
>
> Hi Joe, good to see you again.
>
> Which Emacs version and operating system are you using (specifically
> which Unix?)?

Emacs 21.4a on Debian etch, which is the latest version in the etch repository.
Couldn't find anything newer in backports, and don't really want to build one myself as it could be more hassle than it's worth.

@ 2008-05-02 21:44   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-05-02 21:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Am 02.05.2008 um 19:31 schrieb Mike Treseler:

>> However, after starting emacs, the first cut/copy from within
>> emacs is not recognized. In other words, the first time I do a
>> yank, it pastes whatever I last copied outside emacs, even if I
>> just did a cut/copy within emacs. I can only yank my emacs text if
>> I repeat the emacs cut/copy, othewise it just keeps yanking the
>> external text.
>> Can anyone help?
>
> I don't have this problem, but every once in a while,
> I will have the opposite problem where my center
> mouse button will paste an old emacs kill instead
> of the text I just marked in some other X-app.

The same seems to be true for GNU Emacsen 22.0.50, 22.2, 23.0.50, and
23.0.60, could be also 23.0.0. I often thought this could be a
problem with the Mac OS X pasteboard (Apple's X11 window manager
mediates between the two worlds) ...

>> (mouse-sel-mode 1)
>> (setq x-select-enable-clipboard t)
>> (setq interprogram-paste-function 'x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value)
>
> I don't set these, but happen to have
> t, nil, nil
> as values right now.

I have in 23.0.60 t, nil, x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value,
and in 22.2 I have t, t, x-cut-buffer-or-selection-value.
There seem to be reasonable default values, only for 22.2 I've chosen
to set x-select-enable-clipboard to t hoping to avoid the problem I
mentioned before.

I select words in this or that Emacs and copy it to the Mac OS X
pasteboard when X11 won't work. I also "refresh" the pasteboard by
selecting and copying words from Mac OS X applications. This failure
seems to happen up to once per week.

--
Greetings

   Pete

We also sponsor National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week
annually in September.
Join the millions

* Re: first copy & paste not working
@ 2008-05-05 14:06     ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found]     ` <mailman.11202.1209996421.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-05 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Bloggs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:

> jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>
>> Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:
>>
>>> I can only yank my emacs text if I repeat the emacs cut/copy,
>>> othewise it just keeps yanking the external text. Can anyone help?
>> Hi Joe, good to see you again.
>> Which Emacs version and operating system are you using (specifically
>> which Unix?)?
>
> Emacs 21.4a on Debian etch, which is the latest version in the etch
> repository.

A friend of mine advised me, after I found the latest Emacs in Debian
was 21.4, that adding the unstable repositories, and/or Ubuntu
repositories is a must for using up-to-date software on Debian.  Any
Debian users like to comment?

> Couldn't find anything newer in backports, and don't really want to
> build one myself as it could be more hassle than it's worth.

Then allow me to correct you: building Emacs from CVS is a
piece-of-cake.

(equal '(build emacs-from-cvs) 'piece-of-cake)
=> t

I only had to learn how to do it once, and then I set up building a
Slackware package as a cron job; every week I have a brand new Emacs
from CVS waiting for me on Monday.

make bootstrap
make
make install

and Emacs does the rest.

Check out http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/EmacsFromCVS

Joel

--

@ 2008-05-05 14:27       ` Rupert Swarbrick
       [not found]         ` <mailman.11208.1210007351.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-05-05 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

> Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:
>
>> jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

>>> Hi Joe, good to see you again.
>>> Which Emacs version and operating system are you using (specifically
>>> which Unix?)?
>>
>> Emacs 21.4a on Debian etch, which is the latest version in the etch
>> repository.
>
> A friend of mine advised me, after I found the latest Emacs in Debian
> was 21.4, that adding the unstable repositories, and/or Ubuntu
> repositories is a must for using up-to-date software on Debian.  Any
> Debian users like to comment?

Hmm, well I use it on my laptop because it's fun playing with the new
versions. However, something breaks horribly about once every three or
four months, so I recommend building from source.

Rupert

* Re: first copy & paste not working
@ 2008-05-05 17:09         ` Joel J. Adamson
       [not found]         ` <mailman.11208.1210007351.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Joel J. Adamson @ 2008-05-05 17:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rupert Swarbrick; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbrick@gmail.com> writes:

> jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>
>> Joe Bloggs <who@cares.invalid> writes:

>>> Emacs 21.4a on Debian etch, which is the latest version in the etch
>>> repository.
>>
>> A friend of mine advised me, after I found the latest Emacs in Debian
>> was 21.4, that adding the unstable repositories, and/or Ubuntu
>> repositories is a must for using up-to-date software on Debian.  Any
>> Debian users like to comment?
>>

> Hmm, well I use it on my laptop because it's fun playing with the new
> versions. However, something breaks horribly about once every three or
> four months, so I recommend building from source.

Are you talking about Debian or Emacs?  What is it that breaks, and what
do you build from source?

Joel

--

@ 2008-05-05 17:18           ` Rupert Swarbrick
From: Rupert Swarbrick @ 2008-05-05 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:

>>> A friend of mine advised me, after I found the latest Emacs in Debian
>>> was 21.4, that adding the unstable repositories, and/or Ubuntu
>>> repositories is a must for using up-to-date software on Debian.  Any
>>> Debian users like to comment?
>>>

>> Hmm, well I use it on my laptop because it's fun playing with the new
>> versions. However, something breaks horribly about once every three or
>> four months, so I recommend building from source.
>
> Are you talking about Debian or Emacs?  What is it that breaks, and what
> do you build from source?

Sorry I didn't realise how ambiguous that was. I use debian unstable
repositories but (for reasons unconnected with emacs) this
occasionally does dramatic things to the computer, such as stopping X
working.

My recommendation is/was to do this if you enjoy fixing things, but
otherwise to compile emacs from CVS and use that - as others have
said, it's not a difficult process.

Rupert

* Re: first copy & paste not working
@ 2008-05-06 12:42             ` Joe Bloggs
From: Joe Bloggs @ 2008-05-06 12:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbrick@gmail.com> writes:

> jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>

> My recommendation is/was to do this if you enjoy fixing things, but
> otherwise to compile emacs from CVS and use that - as others have
> said, it's not a difficult process.
>
> Rupert

OK, will give it a go, but will I have to reconfigure my .emacs or update any .el files?

* Re: first copy & paste not working
@ 2008-05-07  5:15               ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-05-07  5:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Joe Bloggs wrote:
> Rupert Swarbrick <rswarbrick@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> jadamson@partners.org (Joel J. Adamson) writes:
>>

>> My recommendation is/was to do this if you enjoy fixing things, but
>> otherwise to compile emacs from CVS and use that - as others have
>> said, it's not a difficult process.
>>
>> Rupert
>
> OK, will give it a go, but will I have to reconfigure my .emacs or update any .el files?

Maybe.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA