all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* can't execute ediff
@ 2008-04-28 20:29 IvanM
From: IvanM @ 2008-04-28 20:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

I just started working with emacs 22.1 and tried to use ediff.
It didn't work. The result was as follows:
Reading file c:/emacs-22.1/bin/myfirstemacsfile ...
Reading file c:/emacs-22.1/bin/myfirstemacsfile~ ...
Computing differences between myfirstemacsfile and myfirstemacsfile~ ...
apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, diff

Very grateful for any help anyone can offer
Best regards
Ivan

* RE: can't execute ediff
@ 2008-04-28 21:59 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-04-28 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'IvanM', Help-gnu-emacs

> I just started working with emacs 22.1 and tried to use ediff.
> It didn't work. The result was as follows:
> Reading file c:/emacs-22.1/bin/myfirstemacsfile ...
> Reading file c:/emacs-22.1/bin/myfirstemacsfile~ ...
> Computing differences between myfirstemacsfile and
> myfirstemacsfile~ ...
> apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, diff

You need a `diff' executable program in your path. Perhaps you just need to
correct your path, so Emacs knows where to find it. You need either a Windows
native `diff' program or a Cygwin `diff' program.

* RE: can't execute ediff
@ 2008-04-29  1:01   ` IvanM
From: IvanM @ 2008-04-29  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help-gnu-emacs

Thank you. Will try to find that.

> I just started working with emacs 22.1 and tried to use ediff.
> It didn't work. The result was as follows:
> Reading file c:/emacs-22.1/bin/myfirstemacsfile ...
> Reading file c:/emacs-22.1/bin/myfirstemacsfile~ ...
> Computing differences between myfirstemacsfile and
> myfirstemacsfile~ ...
> apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, diff

You need a `diff' executable program in your path. Perhaps you just need to
correct your path, so Emacs knows where to find it. You need either a
Windows
native `diff' program or a Cygwin `diff' program.

:-D

* Re: can't execute ediff
@ 2008-04-29  7:42   ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-04-29  7:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Drew Adams wrote:
>> I just started working with emacs 22.1 and tried to use ediff.
>> It didn't work. The result was as follows:
>> Reading file c:/emacs-22.1/bin/myfirstemacsfile ...
>> Reading file c:/emacs-22.1/bin/myfirstemacsfile~ ...
>> Computing differences between myfirstemacsfile and
>> myfirstemacsfile~ ...
>> apply: Searching for program: no such file or directory, diff
>
> You need a `diff' executable program in your path. Perhaps you just need to
> correct your path, so Emacs knows where to find it. You need either a Windows
> native `diff' program or a Cygwin `diff' program.

The Windows native diff can be had at
http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/diffutils.htm

--
Kevin Rodgers