all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Outdate session.el?
@ 2008-03-10 11:42 Nordlöw
From: Nordlöw @ 2008-03-10 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Why is session.el so outdated? Last change occurred 2003. Is it
already perfect? Is there a replacement? Does desktop.el or some other
package in Emacs CVS support all the features of session.el.

Thanks in advance,
Nordlöw

* Re: Outdate session.el?
@ 2008-03-10 16:08 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-10 16:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nordlöw; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.03.2008 um 12:42 schrieb Nordlöw:

> Does desktop.el or some other package in Emacs CVS support all the
> features of session.el.

I don't think so. I use both.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Got Mole problems?
Call Avogadro 6.02 x 10^23

* Re: Outdate session.el?
@ 2008-03-19  1:00   ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-03-19  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, per.nordlow

   Am 10.03.2008 um 12:42 schrieb Nordlöw:

   > Does desktop.el or some other package in Emacs CVS support all the
   > features of session.el.

   I don't think so. I use both.

Did you report back to the emacs-devel team of these missing
features ?

What feature(s) need to be added to desktop.el ?

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Outdate session.el?
@ 2008-03-19 10:18     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.9184.1205930417.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-19 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

Am 19.03.2008 um 02:00 schrieb Xavier Maillard:

>    Am 10.03.2008 um 12:42 schrieb Nordlöw:
>
>> Does desktop.el or some other package in Emacs CVS support all the
>> features of session.el.
>

>    I don't think so. I use both.
>
> Did you report back to the emacs-devel team of these missing
> features ?
>
> What feature(s) need to be added to desktop.el ?

Particularly history, particularly from compiling. Session.el offers
much more, but I don't remember consciously what more I am using. I
should re-read the manual to know in which wealth I am working ...

The command desktop-save is a bit stupid: I have to tell it where to
save the desktop. In ~/.emacs I have defined file and directory
names. Automatic loading and saving works, only manually fails.

Me, I never reported anything. The combination of session and desktop
works well for me. IMO both are meant to be the 'dynamic duo' of GNU
Emacs. I wouldn't mind if the functionality of session that's not
available in desktop would be integrated into one file. Maybe some
variables could customise which kind of data is saved from session to
session.

--
Greetings

   Pete

What is this talk of 'release?' Klingons do not make software
'releases.'  Our software 'escapes,' leaving a bloody trail of
designers and quality assurance people in its wake.

* Re: Outdate session.el?
@ 2008-03-19 12:35       ` Leo
       [not found]         ` <mailman.9367.1206322661.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]       ` <mailman.9184.1205930417.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2008-03-19 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2008-03-19 10:18 +0000, Peter Dyballa wrote:
> Particularly history, particularly from compiling. Session.el offers
> much more, but I don't remember consciously what more I am using. I
> should re-read the manual to know in which wealth I am working ...

Session.el is sort of being replaced by savehist.el.

Bye,
--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

          Use the best OS -- http://www.fedoraproject.org/

* Re: Outdate session.el?
       [not found]       ` <mailman.9184.1205930417.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-19 12:52         ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-03-19 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2008-03-19 10:18 +0000, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>> Particularly history, particularly from compiling. Session.el offers
>> much more, but I don't remember consciously what more I am using. I
>> should re-read the manual to know in which wealth I am working ...
>
> Session.el is sort of being replaced by savehist.el.
>
> Bye,

What does "sort of" mean?

* Re: Outdate session.el?
@ 2008-03-20 23:12     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-20 23:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, per.nordlow

Am 19.03.2008 um 02:00 schrieb Xavier Maillard:

> What feature(s) need to be added to desktop.el ?

It's very nice that the node in *info* buffer is kept! I can continue
reading weeks later ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"Evolution"            o           __o                     _o _
           °\___o      /0~         -\<,              ^\___ /=\\_/-%
oo~_______ /\ /\______/ \_________O/ O_______________o===>-->O--o____

* Re: Outdate session.el?
@ 2008-03-24  1:00         ` Xavier Maillard
       [not found]           ` <mailman.9381.1206363837.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found]         ` <mailman.9367.1206322661.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-03-24  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   On 2008-03-19 10:18 +0000, Peter Dyballa wrote:
   > Particularly history, particularly from compiling. Session.el offers
   > much more, but I don't remember consciously what more I am using. I
   > should re-read the manual to know in which wealth I am working ...

   Session.el is sort of being replaced by savehist.el.

"sort of" ? Does it replace it or not ? :)

	Xavier

From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-03-24  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, per.nordlow

   > What feature(s) need to be added to desktop.el ?

   It's very nice that the node in *info* buffer is kept! I can continue
   reading weeks later ...

Indeed, it must be really cool. Here I only use desktop.el with
this setup:

(require 'recentf)
(setq desktop-dirname (expand-file-name "~/")
      desktop-save t
      desktop-globals-to-save
      '((extended-command-history . 50)
        (file-name-history        . 50)
        (grep-history             . 50)
        (minibuffer-history       . 50)
        (query-replace-history    . 50)
        (read-expression-history  . 50)
        (regexp-history           . 50)
        (search-ring              . 50)
        (shell-command-history    . 50))
      recentf-max-saved-items 50)

(add-to-list 'desktop-modes-not-to-save 'rmail-mode)
(add-to-list 'desktop-modes-not-to-save 'Info-mode)

and it does almost all I need (or I feel it does :)). When
starting with a new and fresh emacs session, I am back with all
my buffers/files/whatever. Also note that I explicitly ask
desktop not to save the Info-mode buffers (but I can't remember
why I asked for this :)). If I remove the Info-mode from the not
to save list, I get my info-mode nodes back when (re)starting my
emacs. So, session.el won't help here.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Outdate session.el?
       [not found]         ` <mailman.9367.1206322661.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-24  1:56           ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-03-24  1:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

>    On 2008-03-19 10:18 +0000, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>    > Particularly history, particularly from compiling. Session.el offers
>    > much more, but I don't remember consciously what more I am using. I
>    > should re-read the manual to know in which wealth I am working ...
>
>    Session.el is sort of being replaced by savehist.el.
>
> "sort of" ? Does it replace it or not ? :)
>
> 	Xavier

session.el seemed to be more comprehensive when I tried them.

All I have is ...

(require 'session)
   (add-hook 'after-init-hook 'session-initialize)

... all my file open history, search history etc are saved. Works well
for me. I'm not sure why savehist exists as it doesn't appear to provide
any improvements that I can see. Any more info appreciated.

* Re: Outdate session.el?
@ 2008-03-24 11:21           ` Leo
       [not found]           ` <mailman.9381.1206363837.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Leo @ 2008-03-24 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 2008-03-24 01:00 +0000, Xavier Maillard wrote:
>    Session.el is sort of being replaced by savehist.el.
>
> "sort of" ? Does it replace it or not ? :)

For me, yes. I never need to go back to use session.el.

--

@ 2008-03-24 13:28             ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-03-24 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2008-03-24 01:00 +0000, Xavier Maillard wrote:
>>    Session.el is sort of being replaced by savehist.el.
>>
>> "sort of" ? Does it replace it or not ? :)
>
> For me, yes. I never need to go back to use session.el.

Hi Leo,

Documentation is sparse (!) - could you explain what it does that session
does not do?

Also when I try it from here:

http://www.koders.com/lisp/fidA05D3793F1722735B6D00FF7628FE22B4FF490B1.aspx?s=sort

I get

,----
| and: Symbol's value as variable is void: user-emacs-directory
| Symbol's value as variable is void: user-emacs-directory
`----

Version: This is GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d
 scroll bars) of 2008-03-02 on raven, modified by Debian

Thanks for any pointers and/or advice.

r.

* Re: Outdate session.el?
@ 2008-03-24 17:29               ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2008-03-24 17:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2008-03-24 13:28 +0000, Richard G Riley wrote:
> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> On 2008-03-24 01:00 +0000, Xavier Maillard wrote:
>>>    Session.el is sort of being replaced by savehist.el.
>>> "sort of" ? Does it replace it or not ? :)
>> For me, yes. I never need to go back to use session.el.
>
> Hi Leo,
>
> Documentation is sparse (!) - could you explain what it does that
> session does not do?

I can't make a comparison. The benefit of using savehist is that it is
included in Emacs by default and will be made to work with future Emacs
releases.

Savehist saves minibuffer history by default, you can customise
savehist-additional-variables to save other data.

> Also when I try it from here:
>
> http://www.koders.com/lisp/fidA05D3793F1722735B6D00FF7628FE22B4FF490B1.aspx?s=sort
>
> I get
>
> ,----
> | and: Symbol's value as variable is void: user-emacs-directory
> | Symbol's value as variable is void: user-emacs-directory
> `----
>
> Version: This is GNU Emacs 22.1.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit,
> Xaw3d scroll bars) of 2008-03-02 on raven, modified by Debian
>
> Thanks for any pointers and/or advice.
>
> r.

That variable was introduced in Emacs 23.

savehist.el is included in Emacs by default.

Bye,
--

@ 2008-03-25  1:00             ` Xavier Maillard
From: Xavier Maillard @ 2008-03-25  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard G Riley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

   Xavier Maillard <xma@gnu.org> writes:

   >    On 2008-03-19 10:18 +0000, Peter Dyballa wrote:
   >    > Particularly history, particularly from compiling. Session.el offers
   >    > much more, but I don't remember consciously what more I am using. I
   >    > should re-read the manual to know in which wealth I am working ...
   >
   >    Session.el is sort of being replaced by savehist.el.
   >
   > "sort of" ? Does it replace it or not ? :)
   >
   > 	Xavier

   session.el seemed to be more comprehensive when I tried them.

   All I have is ...

   (require 'session)
      (add-hook 'after-init-hook 'session-initialize)

Ahem yes, it is simpler :)

   ... all my file open history, search history etc are saved. Works well
   for me. I'm not sure why savehist exists as it doesn't appear to provide
   any improvements that I can see. Any more info appreciated.

Concerning savehist.el, I am, like you, very dubious on what it
can be useful. Same applies for saveplace.el. I plan to sort of
try merging these three packages into a unique one.

	Xavier
--
http://www.gnu.org
http://www.april.org

* Re: Outdate session.el?
@ 2008-03-25  9:47               ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-25  9:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xavier Maillard; +Cc: emacs list

Am 25.03.2008 um 02:00 schrieb Xavier Maillard:
> Concerning savehist.el, I am, like you, very dubious on what it
> can be useful. Same applies for saveplace.el. I plan to sort of
> try merging these three packages into a unique one.

Splendid! As long as most of session.el's capabilities are preserved.

What I am missing is a means to "edit" the saved data, remove items
particularly. My session-save-file(s, for different Emacs versions/
kinds) have a tendency to grow. A simple mechanism based of time
stamps or a maximal number of items does not seem to be right. Some
configure or compile invocations are used again after years. Some
such invocations were for tests and really are not worth saving them,
well, say, longer than a week, or a month. A means of cleaning seems
to be necessary.

Also the point in a buffer is saved. This is an information that is
often useless for me, or worse: the end of the buffer, when I left
the file after a compare-windows. I would like to see the point at
the beginning next time I open the file. To be ready for a new
comparison. I setting might enable new session.el to convert point-
max to point-min.

--
Greetings

   Pete

"We need a president who's fluent in at least one language."
				– Buck Henry