all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* C-h sends backspace?
@ 2008-03-13 15:22 Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2008-03-13 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I am using an emacsen (Zile) on a remote machine. The problem is, that
the C-h key (not only in Zile, also in other apps) sends backspace to
the remote machine. I only find information for the case, that when I
press "backspace" the Help pops up, cause Backspace sends C-h. What can
I do, Is it possible somehow to have C-h still as C-h and Backspace
still as backspace?
Greetz,
Christian

* Re: C-h sends backspace?
@ 2008-03-13 19:12 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.8854.1205435588.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-13 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Herenz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 13.03.2008 um 16:22 schrieb Christian Herenz:

> I am using an emacsen (Zile) on a remote machine. The problem is,
> that the C-h key (not only in Zile, also in other apps) sends
> backspace to the remote machine. I only find information for the
> case, that when I press "backspace" the Help pops up, cause
> Backspace sends C-h. What can I do, Is it possible somehow to have
> C-h still as C-h and Backspace still as backspace?

stty erase ^?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone, but they've
always worked for me.
				– Hunter S. Thompson

* Re: C-h sends backspace?
       [not found] ` <mailman.8854.1205435588.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-14  1:37   ` Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2008-03-14  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa schrieb:

> stty erase ^?

This does not work :(

Still C-h sends backspace...

Greets,
Christian

* Re: C-h sends backspace?
       [not found] ` <mailman.8854.1205435588.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-16 17:00 ` Uday S Reddy
From: Uday S Reddy @ 2008-03-16 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Doing Google search for "emacs backspace" brings up a load of web pages,
especially this very useful page:
    http://kb.iu.edu/data/abvn.html

Cheers,
Uday Reddy

"Christian Herenz" <herenz@physik.hu-berlin.de> wrote in message
> Hi,
> I am using an emacsen (Zile) on a remote machine. The problem is, that
> the C-h key (not only in Zile, also in other apps) sends backspace to
> the remote machine. I only find information for the case, that when I
> press "backspace" the Help pops up, cause Backspace sends C-h. What
> can I do, Is it possible somehow to have C-h still as C-h and
> Backspace still as backspace?
> Greetz,
> Christian

* Re: C-h sends backspace?
@ 2008-03-18 11:12   ` Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2008-03-18 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Uday S Reddy schrieb:
> Doing Google search for "emacs backspace" brings up a load of web pages,
> especially this very useful page:
>    http://kb.iu.edu/data/abvn.html

The title of this packge is, Emacs - Bacspace sends Help. My Problem is
Help sends Backspace... Wenn I press C-h the last typed character is
deleted. Thats why I ask in this group, because the load of webpages a
google search brings up are not exactly my problem.

However, the last solution, remapping the keys to C-x h, would work. But
I would like to have C-h as help and backspace  as backspace. Is that
possible?

Greets,
Christian

* Re: C-h sends backspace?
@ 2008-03-18 12:54     ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]     ` <mailman.9084.1205844906.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-18 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Herenz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.03.2008 um 12:12 schrieb Christian Herenz:

> My Problem is Help sends Backspace

If you're working with GNU Emacs in a terminal emulation, i.e. GNU
Emacs is not running as an X client, the you should teach your
terminal emulation not to interpret C-h as backspace.

GNU Emacs sends \010 to the terminal. The terminal now can choose to
interpret this as a backspace character or as somethings it must not
care.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Basic, n.:
	A programming language. Related to certain social diseases in
	that those who have it will not admit it in polite company.

* Re: C-h sends backspace?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.9084.1205844906.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-18 13:37       ` Christian Herenz
       [not found]         ` <mailman.9101.1205860492.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Christian Herenz @ 2008-03-18 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa schrieb:

> If you're working with GNU Emacs in a terminal emulation, i.e. GNU Emacs
> is not running as an X client, the you should teach your terminal
> emulation not to interpret C-h as backspace.

As mentioned before, I am working with zile, an emacs like editor...
However, should make no difference?

> GNU Emacs sends \010 to the terminal. The terminal now can choose to
> interpret this as a backspace character or as somethings it must not care.

I do not understand this part? Gnu Emacs sends something to the terminal??

Greets,
Christian

* Re: C-h sends backspace?
@ 2008-03-18 17:14         ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]         ` <mailman.9101.1205860492.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-18 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christian Herenz; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.03.2008 um 14:37 schrieb Christian Herenz:

> I do not understand this part? Gnu Emacs sends something to the
> terminal??

You can substitute with zile.

Wouldn't you like to tell what this zile is? Is it an X client or is
it a command line programme?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

We also sponsor National Invisible Chronic Illness Awareness Week
annually in September.
Join the millions

* Re: C-h sends backspace?
       [not found]         ` <mailman.9101.1205860492.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-19  7:56           ` Christian Herenz
From: Christian Herenz @ 2008-03-19  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa schrieb:

>> I do not understand this part? Gnu Emacs sends something to the
>> terminal??
>

> You can substitute with zile.
>
> Wouldn't you like to tell what this zile is? Is it an X client or is it
> a command line programme?

http://zile.sourceforge.net/ small emacs like editor (not X, Terminal, I
am working on a remote login, local installation works fine in the same
terminal emulator).

> GNU Emacs sends \010 to the terminal. The terminal now can choose to interpret this as a backspace character or as somethings it must not care.

What sends it to the terminal??

Greets,
Christian

* Re: C-h sends backspace?
       [not found]     ` <mailman.9084.1205844906.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-21 14:22     ` Uday S Reddy
From: Uday S Reddy @ 2008-03-21 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>>    http://kb.iu.edu/data/abvn.html
>
> The title of this packge is, Emacs - Bacspace sends Help. My Problem
> is Help sends Backspace...

No, I don't think you understood what the page says.  "The Backspace key
(on most keyboards) generates ASCII code 8. C-h sends the same code"
So, whether you say Backspace sends C-h or C-h sends Backspace, you are
saying the same thing.

This group can only answer questions about Emacs.

> However, the last solution, remapping the keys to C-x h, would work.
> But I would like to have C-h as help and backspace  as backspace. Is
> that possible?

Whether it is possible or not is a question for your keyboard and
terminal emulator you might be using.  The web page gave instructions
for Unix terminal emulators to make Backspace send C-?.  Whether it
works for your terminal emulator or what else works for it, is open.
You may not get an answer to that question in this forum.

Cheers,
Uday Reddy