all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Insertion question
@ 2003-04-02  7:37 Urban Gabor
From: Urban Gabor @ 2003-04-02  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I have a question, but could not figure it out from the docs...

At the currect cursor position I woudl like to insert a
fixed string using one (new) hotkey. It would be even nicer,
if I could append the user-name from the environment, and
the time-stamp.

BTW Could you CC the answer  to my address?

Regards,

Gabaux
Linux is like a wigwam: no gates, no windows, and an apache
inside!

* Re: Insertion question
       [not found] <mailman.4000.1049269170.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-04-02  9:07 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-04-02  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Urban Gabor <gabaux@freemail.hu> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have a question, but could not figure it out from the docs...
>
> At the currect cursor position I woudl like to insert a
> fixed string using one (new) hotkey.

(define-key global-map [f5] "lirum larum ")

Or you could define a keyboard macro.

> It would be even nicer, if I could append the user-name from the
> environment, and the time-stamp.

I think you need a bit of Lisp code for this:

(define-key global-map [f5]
  (lambda ()
    (interactive)
    (insert (concat "lirum larum "
		    (user-full-name)
		    " "
		    (current-time-string)
		    " "))))

> BTW Could you CC the answer  to my address?

This is rather depreciated in this forum for several reasons. It is
better to discuss solutions to problems publicly. If the answer is
trivial, the regulars may decide to send you a private mail, but let
the regulars decide that.

    Oliver
--
13 Germinal an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: Insertion question
@ 2003-04-03 12:14   ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2003-04-03 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sorry for being OT, but I have to correct myself.

Answering a request for CCing to the OP, I wrote:

> This is rather depreciated in this forum for several reasons. It is
> better to discuss solutions to problems publicly.

Someone sent me an objection to this statement via email. And I have
to admit now that I was not quite right. It is, of course, true that
it is better to discuss problems publicly in this forum, provided that
they are not trivial or FAQs.

But this doesn't necessarily exclude sending a CC. It is probably
better to ensure consecutive public discussion (if it turns out that
this is necessary) by setting "Reply-to:" to <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
or by requesting explicitly from the OP that he or she sends replies
to this group. After all, if someone asks for a CC, he or she might
have a good reason to do so.

Sorry for the line noise.

    Oliver