all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Printing in Windows w/ NetGear FR114P Firewall/Printserver
@ 2003-11-14 19:31 Greg Yasko
       [not found] ` <mailman.106.1068848076.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Greg Yasko @ 2003-11-14 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi. Could someone shed some light on this subject?

I'm trying to print from Emacs in Windows 2000. I have an HP LaserJet 6L
hooked up to the printserver port of a NetGear FR114P gateway/firewall.

After googling extensively and searching the Emacs manual, I'm lost. The
port I'm using is FR114P_P1 as set up by NetGear's driver.

My .emacs file is the following and it's in my HOME path:

(setq lpr-command "lpr")
(setq printer-name "//FR114P_P1/HP_LaserJet_6L")
(setq ps-lpr-command "lpr")
(setq ps-printer-name "//FR114P_P1/HP_LaserJet_6L")

Have tried "//FR114P_P1", "//lpd://192.168.01/L1" and "HP_LaserJet_6L" for
printer name. Nothing works.

Thanks.

-Greg

* Re: Printing in Windows w/ NetGear FR114P Firewall/Printserver
@ 2003-11-14 21:11 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.106.1068848076.399.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2003-11-14 21:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:31:44 -0500
> From: Greg Yasko <ryasko@gator.net>
>
> (setq lpr-command "lpr")

Do you really have a program on your machine called `lpr.exe'?  If
not, the above is wrong.

> (setq printer-name "//FR114P_P1/HP_LaserJet_6L")

Does this name work if you use it from the DOS box's command line?  If
not, you will probably need to use "net use" to redirect one of the
LPRn ports to this printer, as described in the Emacs manual (in the
node "MS-DOS Printing").

@ 2003-11-14 23:02   ` Greg Yasko
From: Greg Yasko @ 2003-11-14 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please assist further if possible.

When I try "net view" I get "RICHARD-LGFRTR7" and no associated printers
when typing "net view RICHARD_LGFRTR7". But when I look in the
properties page for the printer control panel the port name is FR114P_P1
and the device address is 192.168.0.1.

Have tried the following and also have substituted "RICHARD-LGFRTR7" to
no effect:

(setq lpr-command "")
(setq printer-name "FR114P_P1")
(setq ps-lpr-command "")
(setq ps-printer-name "FR114P_P1")

Also, the description of "net use" in the emacs manual is for a shared
printer connected to another computer. My printer is hooked up to a
NetGear FR114P Gateway/Router & not directly to another PC.

I have no idea how to print directly from DOS with this setup & have
tried a number of things.

Thanks again.

-Greg

@ 2003-11-15  3:02     ` Greg Yasko
From: Greg Yasko @ 2003-11-15  3:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

Okay. Using the lpr.exe from C:\WINNT\system32 I can print from MSDOS.

Issuing "lpr -S 192.168.0.1 -P HP_LaserJet_6L -d test" prints my test
file. How could I translate that to the necessary .emacs file entries?

Thanks.

-Greg Yasko

Greg Yasko wrote:
> Please assist further if possible.
>
> When I try "net view" I get "RICHARD-LGFRTR7" and no associated printers
> when typing "net view RICHARD_LGFRTR7". But when I look in the
> properties page for the printer control panel the port name is FR114P_P1
> and the device address is 192.168.0.1.
>
> Have tried the following and also have substituted "RICHARD-LGFRTR7" to
> no effect:
>
> (setq lpr-command "")
> (setq printer-name "FR114P_P1")
> (setq ps-lpr-command "")
> (setq ps-printer-name "FR114P_P1")
>
> Also, the description of "net use" in the emacs manual is for a shared
> printer connected to another computer. My printer is hooked up to a
> NetGear FR114P Gateway/Router & not directly to another PC.
>
> I have no idea how to print directly from DOS with this setup & have
> tried a number of things.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> -Greg
>

> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
>>> Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 14:31:44 -0500
>>> From: Greg Yasko <ryasko@gator.net>
>>>
>>> (setq lpr-command "lpr")
>>

>> Do you really have a program on your machine called `lpr.exe'?  If
>> not, the above is wrong.
>>

>>> (setq printer-name "//FR114P_P1/HP_LaserJet_6L")
>>

>> Does this name work if you use it from the DOS box's command line?  If
>> not, you will probably need to use "net use" to redirect one of the
>> LPRn ports to this printer, as described in the Emacs manual (in the
>> node "MS-DOS Printing").

* [Solved] Re: Printing in Windows w/ NetGear FR114P Firewall/Printserver
@ 2003-11-15  3:53       ` Greg Yasko
From: Greg Yasko @ 2003-11-15  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Found the answers to my problem -- first turned on print sharing in
Windows. Then "net view" gives the server and "net view servername"
gives the printer. Then installed EMacro http://emacro.sourceforge.net/
& now everything works beautifully.

EMacro is a very clever piece of software. Quite cool.

Thanks -- the help I got was all I needed, that and about 3 hours.

-Greg Yasko