all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: Bug? I can cut-and-paste the "end of line" markers
       [not found] <cs9abltrrmc.fsf@Psilocybe.Update.UU.SE>
@ 2008-02-22 14:36 ` Johan Bockgård
       [not found]   ` <cs9ve4gww9t.fsf@Psilocybe.Update.UU.SE>
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2008-02-22 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Davour <anteRUN@updateLIKE.uu.HELLse> writes:

> Now, this of course made my lines to long to display so emacs inserted
> a end of line marker, a backslash.
>
> When I marked the text in my buffer and tried to copy it to my browser
> something odd happened. The backslashes were included in my paste! Is
> that a bug, possibly? Surely those signs are just a hint to the user,
> and not part of the text? Why were they copied?

If you are in a text terminal, the copy comes from the terminal, not
from Emacs.

--
Johan Bockgård

@ 2008-02-22 18:17 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-02-22 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Davour; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.02.2008 um 15:30 schrieb Andreas Davour:

> When I marked the text in my buffer and tried to copy it to my browser
> something odd happened. The backslashes were included in my paste! Is
> that a bug, possibly? Surely those signs are just a hint to the user,
> and not part of the text? Why were they copied?

I presume you were using GNU Emacs in a terminal emulation, without
windows. Then this *can* happen. You better switch to the X client or
some other windowing version!

--
Greetings

   Pete

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget
cuts.

@ 2008-02-23 10:20     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-02-23 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Davour; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 22.02.2008 um 21:50 schrieb Andreas Davour:

> But, if I understand you correctly, I could have copied things like I
> did and it would have worked without any \ if I had emacs in it's own
> window and not in a terminal?

The following text of almost 700 bytes is copied from a *compilation*
buffer in an X client GNU Emacs that is 99 columns wide and that does
not show any backslashes, only the fringes have markers for
continuations:

	/bin/sh ./libtool --tag=CC --mode=link gcc -I./include -I/usr/
X11R7.1/include   -v -pipe -fPIC -O0 -mcpu=7450 -mtune=7450 -fno-
common  -dead_strip -bind_at_load -L/sw/lib/freetype219/lib -L/sw/lib/
fontconfig2/lib -L/sw/lib/ncurses -L/sw/lib -L/usr/local/lib -o
libXdmcp.la -rpath /usr/X11R7.1/lib -version-number 6:0:0 -no-
undefined A8Eq.lo AA16.lo AA32.lo AA8.lo Alloc.lo AofA8.lo CA8.lo
CmpKey.lo DA16.lo DA32.lo DA8.lo DAofA8.lo DecKey.lo Fill.lo Flush.lo
GenKey.lo IncKey.lo RA16.lo RA32.lo RA8.lo RAofA8.lo RC16.lo RC32.lo
RC8.lo RHead.lo RR.lo RaA16.lo RaA32.lo RaA8.lo RaAoA8.lo Unwrap.lo
WA16.lo WA32.lo WA8.lo WAofA8.lo WC16.lo WC32.lo WC8.lo Whead.lo
Wrap.lo Wraphelp.lo

It might look a bit different when received and displayed by some
eMail programme ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

A morning without coffee is like something without something else.

@ 2008-02-24 15:18     ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-02-24 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Andreas Davour wrote:
> I was notified by a friend that apparently emacs and X finally are on
> speaking terms, so maybe I should just have done a M-w and then yanked
> it in Firefox.

Emacs 19 (with X support) was released in 1993.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA