all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to compile this simple program in GNU emacs
@ 2008-01-28  1:58 ravi
From: ravi @ 2008-01-28  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I typed in the following code "newone.c" in emacs
#include <stdio.h>
int main()
{
  int i;
  printf("enter i");
  scanf("%d",&i);
  printf("\nthe value entered is %d",i);
  return 0;
}

Then i did M-x compile
gave the command : gcc -o newone newone.c
Then again M-x compile and ./newone

Now emacs displayed another buffer in "compilation mode" like this

-*- mode: compilation; default-directory: "~/Desktop/new/" -*-
Compilation started at Mon Jan 28 07:19:01

./newone
enter i

I have entered 45.

Now here I when I press <RETURN>, it is saying "No error here". But
how do I send in the value 45,  without pressing <RETURN>

enter i45<unable to press enter>

I am also unable to press <SPACE>, <BACKSPACE>

Please help me. I looked in compilation mode manual and emacs manual
but could not figure out.

Should I be pressing in some key sequence ?

Please let me know.

Thanks & Regards,
ravi.

* Re: How to compile this simple program in GNU emacs
@ 2008-01-28 10:54 ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2008-01-28 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

To run your program after compilation, I think it's better to open an
OS shell and run it there. Either "M-x shell" to get a shell in Emacs,
or just access the command line in the usual way of your OS.

* Re: How to compile this simple program in GNU emacs
@ 2008-01-28 19:36 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-01-28 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: ravi <ravikanth.au@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2008 17:58:39 -0800 (PST)
>
> Then again M-x compile and ./newone

Don't.  M-x compile is not intended for running interactive programs,
it's intended for compilers, Grep, and other similar tools that
produce output, such as error messages, in well-known format, which is
parsed by Emacs in order to display the portion of the file which
produced the error message.

* Re: How to compile this simple program in GNU emacs
@ 2008-01-28 20:23   ` Richard G Riley
From: Richard G Riley @ 2008-01-28 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Martin <loveslave@frustratedhousewives.zzn.com> writes:

> To run your program after compilation, I think it's better to open an
> OS shell and run it there. Either "M-x shell" to get a shell in Emacs,
> or just access the command line in the usual way of your OS.

Just look up gdb in the manual and use that. The multi-window gdb is
very good inside emacs IMO.

* Re: How to compile this simple program in GNU emacs
@ 2008-02-02 20:43 ` Oleksander Gavenko
From: Oleksander Gavenko @ 2008-02-02 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Try this Makefile

run: newone
<tab>  echo -e "45\n" | ./$@

newone: newone.c
<tab>  gcc -o $@ $<

put it in directory where your newone.c and type M-x compile.