all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* hippie-expand show possible expansions for files
@ 2007-11-06 19:52 Fabian Braennstroem
       [not found] ` <mailman.3056.1194379207.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-11-06 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

does anyone know, if there is a chance to show all possible expansions
for file names and directories when using hippie-expand? Something like
'comint-dynamic-complete' does!? Would be nice...
Fabian

* Re: hippie-expand show possible expansions for files
@ 2007-11-06 20:02 ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found] ` <mailman.3056.1194379207.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-11-06 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: f.braennstroem; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi,
>
> does anyone know, if there is a chance to show all possible expansions
> for file names and directories when using hippie-expand? Something like
> 'comint-dynamic-complete' does!? Would be nice...

Hi, yes for me it work, i bind it to C-c p.

--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

@ 2007-11-06 21:14   ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-11-06 21:14 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi Thierry,

Thierry Volpiatto wrote:

> Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> does anyone know, if there is a chance to show all possible expansions
>> for file names and directories when using hippie-expand? Something like
>> 'comint-dynamic-complete' does!? Would be nice...
>
> Hi, yes for me it work, i bind it to C-c p.

I was not clear enough, I can you hippie-expand too, but I don't get a
buffer jumping up with all possible expansion. I think it would be a
realy nice feature!?

@ 2007-11-06 22:51     ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-11-06 22:51 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: f.braennstroem; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:

> Hi Thierry,
>
> Thierry Volpiatto wrote:
>
>> Fabian Braennstroem <f.braennstroem@gmx.de> writes:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> does anyone know, if there is a chance to show all possible expansions
>>> for file names and directories when using hippie-expand? Something like
>>> 'comint-dynamic-complete' does!? Would be nice...
>>
>> Hi, yes for me it work, i bind it to C-c p.
>
> I was not clear enough, I can you hippie-expand too, but I don't get a
> buffer jumping up with all possible expansion. I think it would be a
> realy nice feature!?
> Fabian

Hi Fabian,
i have the buffer with all the possible completions if i do C-c p
2 times :)
(only if comint-dynamic-complete find more than one possible completion)

--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* RE: hippie-expand show possible expansions for files
@ 2007-11-07 15:27 Bourgneuf Francois
From: Bourgneuf Francois @ 2007-11-07 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I didn't know these completion features, I find them very handy.
Do you know if there is a way to manage file name completion even if a directory contains a whitespace.
I work under Windows and neither hippie-expand nor comint-dynamic-complete could expand anything after c:\program Files
Thank you
Bour9

* Re: hippie-expand show possible expansions for files
@ 2007-11-07 16:03 ` Thierry Volpiatto
       [not found] ` <mailman.3095.1194453900.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-11-07 16:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bourgneuf Francois; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Bourgneuf Francois <francois.bourgneuf@groupe-mma.fr> writes:

> [...]
Hi,
i have tried it right now on windows with vmware:
you have to write c:\\Program files\\ instead of c:\Program files
to have the completion.
--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

* Re: hippie-expand show possible expansions for files
@ 2007-11-07 16:44 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.3095.1194453900.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-11-07 16:44 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Bourgneuf Francois; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 07.11.2007 um 16:27 schrieb Bourgneuf Francois:

> I work under Windows and neither hippie-expand nor comint-dynamic-
> complete could expand anything after c:\program Files

I am not working under Losedows and I am not writing a path with ``\
´´ (except I want to "escape" SPC or such in the path name) – and the
latter makes an important difference! When you start with ``c:/program
´´ comint-dynamic-complete will work and probably expand to ``C:/
Program\ Files/´´ ...

The reason is that backslash is used as a metacharacter that cannot
stand for itself but gives other characters a particular meaning. So,
when you write ``\p´´ it's not a sequence of ``\´´ and ``p´´ but a
``backslashed p´´, some new entity.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Well done is better than well said.
                            -- Benjamin Franklin

* Re: hippie-expand show possible expansions for files
@ 2007-11-07 18:30   ` Thierry Volpiatto
From: Thierry Volpiatto @ 2007-11-07 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Dyballa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Am 07.11.2007 um 16:27 schrieb Bourgneuf Francois:
>
>> I work under Windows and neither hippie-expand nor comint-dynamic-
>> complete could expand anything after c:\program Files
>
> I am not working under Losedows and I am not writing a path with ``\
> ´´ (except I want to "escape" SPC or such in the path name) – and the
> latter makes an important difference! When you start with ``c:/program
> ´´ comint-dynamic-complete will work and probably expand to ``C:/
> Program\ Files/´´ ...
>
> The reason is that backslash is used as a metacharacter that cannot
> stand for itself but gives other characters a particular meaning. So,
> when you write ``\p´´ it's not a sequence of ``\´´ and ``p´´ but a
> backslashed p´´, some new entity.
Yes, it seem to work also like that i can complete c:/Program files/
but after that to complete i have to write c:/Program files/\and then
like that i can complete with a buffer that show all.
So comint-dynamic-complete is much more fun with /home/user... :)
--
A + Thierry
pubkey: http://pgp.mit.edu/

@ 2007-11-07 21:19   ` Fabian Braennstroem
From: Fabian Braennstroem @ 2007-11-07 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi to all,

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 07.11.2007 um 16:27 schrieb Bourgneuf Francois:
>
>> I work under Windows and neither hippie-expand nor comint-dynamic-
>> complete could expand anything after c:\program Files
>
> I am not working under Losedows and I am not writing a path with ``\
> ´´ (except I want to "escape" SPC or such in the path name) – and the
> latter makes an important difference! When you start with ``c:/program
> ´´ comint-dynamic-complete will work and probably expand to ``C:/
> Program\ Files/´´ ...
>
> The reason is that backslash is used as a metacharacter that cannot
> stand for itself but gives other characters a particular meaning. So,
> when you write ``\p´´ it's not a sequence of ``\´´ and ``p´´ but a
> ``backslashed p´´, some new entity.

It has nothing to do with the windows problem, I am on Linux too :-),
but I just found a different idea to combine the mentioned
'hippie-expand' and 'comint...' (sorry Thierry, I still did not get your
setup). I use these lines,which I found in the net, to complete the words
using the 'tab' key:

(defun indent-or-expand (arg)
  "Either indent according to mode, or expand the word preceding
point."
  (interactive "*P")
  (if (and
       (or (bobp) (= ?w (char-syntax (char-before))))
       (or (eobp) (not (= ?w (char-syntax (char-after))))))
;      (dabbrev-expand arg)
      (hippie-expand arg)
    (indent-according-to-mode)))

(defun my-tab-fix ()
  (local-set-key [tab] 'indent-or-expand))

(add-hook 'python-mode-hook          'my-tab-fix)

The completion just works, if the cursor is behind the word. Now, a good
combination  would be to insert a second if-statement, which looks, if
the word to complete starts with "/" or "../"; then use
'comint...' otherwise use 'hippie...'. My problem now is to check for
the starting "/" or "../". Does anyone have an idea, how to do it?
Fabian