all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Make keybindings work in non-Latin layout (as in NTEmacs)?
@ 2009-04-29  6:56 cmr.Pent
From: cmr.Pent @ 2009-04-29  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello!

I'm using Emacs under Debian GNU/Linux system on a daily basis for a
couple of years already. Yesterday, I've tried NTEmacs, and I've
noticed that it solves the most annoying problem I'm having with my
Emacs all the time.

When I'm typing text in Russian, I wish that Emacs keybindings worked
without need to switch to English layout. For example, when I hit C-x
C-s, I wish it worked in both English and Russian layouts.

Is it possible to implement such a feature in GNU Emacs or it would
only work on w32, not on GNU system? One example of an application
that provides similar feature on GNU system is Mozilla Firefox (I
didn't see the code, but people say the solution is not very clean).

Thanks,
Andrey Paramonov

* Re: Make keybindings work in non-Latin layout (as in NTEmacs)?
@ 2009-04-30  0:01 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2009-04-30  0:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Apr 29, 2:56 pm, "cmr.P...@gmail.com" <cmr.P...@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I'm typing text in Russian, I wish that Emacs keybindings worked
> without need to switch to English layout. For example, when I hit C-x
> C-s, I wish it worked in both English and Russian layouts.

Not exactly what you are asking for, but you could leave the keyboard
layout as English and use an Emacs input-method (C-\) to enter
Cyrillic characters. The input methods cyrillic-jcuken and cyrillic-
yawerty seem to be made for standard Cyrillic keyboard layouts, but
there are other cyrillic input methods if neither of those matches
your keyboard.

* Re: Make keybindings work in non-Latin layout (as in NTEmacs)?
@ 2009-04-30 19:55   ` cmr.Pent
From: cmr.Pent @ 2009-04-30 19:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 30 апр, 04:01, Jason Rumney <jasonrum...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Not exactly what you are asking for, but you could leave the keyboard
> layout as English and use an Emacs input-method (C-\) to enter
> Cyrillic characters. The input methods cyrillic-jcuken and cyrillic-
> yawerty seem to be made for standard Cyrillic keyboard layouts, but
> there are other cyrillic input methods if neither of those matches
> your keyboard.

I've just tried using "russian-computer" input method, and indeed the
keybindings continue to work! However I don't find it very convinient
to use different key combos in Emacs and in other applications for
switching keyboard layouts. Also, the keybindings work only if the
active X keyboard layout is "us", not "ru".

Maybe it is possible to solve these problems using the knowledge about
character conversion (available in the input method)? Is it possible
to use input method character conversion table the other direction?

Thanks for your support,
Andrey Paramonov