all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to get rid of ^M at end of line
@ 2009-10-10 17:14 bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-10-10 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,
I'm working on windows xp, and I get ^M characters at the end of each
line- In fact, every time I open the document I get an additional ^M
at the end of each line. I've tried to use Replace '^M', but it
doesn't work (replaces nothing)
I've noticed that Ctrl end-of-line is set to Unix when I start Emacs,
is this to blame for the ^M? I toggle it each time back to DOS.
What should I write in my emacs init file to set Ctrl end-of-line
permanently to DOS (if this is the problem)?
Many thanks

* Re: How to get rid of ^M at end of line
@ 2009-10-10 17:49 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-10-10 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bar tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 10.10.2009 um 19:14 schrieb bar tomas:

> I've noticed that Ctrl end-of-line is set to Unix when I start Emacs,
> is this to blame for the ^M?

Yes.

> I toggle it each time back to DOS.
> What should I write in my emacs init file to set Ctrl end-of-line
> permanently to DOS (if this is the problem)?

You could try

	(prefer-coding-system       'iso-latin-9-dos)

--
Greetings

   Pete

A TRUE Klingon warrior does not comment his code.

* Re: How to get rid of ^M at end of line
@ 2009-10-10 18:13 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2009-10-10 18:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 19:14:52 +0200
> From: bar tomas <bartomas@gmail.com>
>
> I'm working on windows xp, and I get ^M characters at the end of each
> line- In fact, every time I open the document I get an additional ^M
> at the end of each line. I've tried to use Replace '^M', but it
> doesn't work (replaces nothing)
> I've noticed that Ctrl end-of-line is set to Unix when I start Emacs,

Does this (the "Unix" EOL mode-line indicator and the ^M characters)
happen to you in "emacs -Q"?  (They shouldn't.)  If in "emacs -Q" the
problem goes away, something in your .emacs init file causes this.

> What should I write in my emacs init file to set Ctrl end-of-line
> permanently to DOS (if this is the problem)?

It's rather what you should NOT write in the init file, I think.
Emacs by default preserves the EOL format of existing files, so it
should set EOL to -dos when it visits a file automatically.

* Re: How to get rid of ^M at end of line
@ 2009-10-11 14:03   ` bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-10-11 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Many thanks!