all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* How to set wrap line at window edge
@ 2009-09-06 16:34 bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-09-06 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

How can I set the option "wrap line at edge of window" in the .emacs init
file?
Also, I'd like to disable truncate long lines. Although I have disabled this
option through the menu/Options, lines continue to be truncated befor the
windows edge. How can I stop truncation of long lines?
Thanks very much

* Re: How to set wrap line at window edge
@ 2009-09-06 18:03 ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2009-09-06 18:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday 06 September 2009 09:34 AM, bar tomas wrote:
> Hi,
> How can I set the option "wrap line at edge of window" in the .emacs init
> file?
> Also, I'd like to disable truncate long lines. Although I have disabled this
> option through the menu/Options, lines continue to be truncated befor the
> windows edge. How can I stop truncation of long lines?
> Thanks very much

How about put this in your .emacs
(custom-set-variables
	(...other customizations ...)
	'(truncate-lines nil))

--
Suvayu

* Re: How to set wrap line at window edge
@ 2009-09-06 18:45   ` bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-09-06 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks very much.
Does that also make the text wrap around the window?
Thanks

On 9/6/09, Suvayu Ali
<fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com<fatkasuvayu%2Blinux@gmail.com>>

@ 2009-09-06 19:24     ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2009-09-06 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bar tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sunday 06 September 2009 11:45 AM, bar tomas wrote:
> On 9/6/09, Suvayu Ali
> <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com<fatkasuvayu%2Blinux@gmail.com>>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday 06 September 2009 09:34 AM, bar tomas wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> How can I set the option "wrap line at edge of window" in the .emacs init
>>> file?
>>> Also, I'd like to disable truncate long lines. Although I have disabled
>>> this
>>> option through the menu/Options, lines continue to be truncated befor the
>>> windows edge. How can I stop truncation of long lines?
>>> Thanks very much
>>>

>> How about put this in your .emacs
>> (custom-set-variables
>>         (...other customizations ...)
>>         '(truncate-lines nil))
>>
> Thanks very much.
> Does that also make the text wrap around the window?

 From the documentation after doing,
`C-h v truncate-lines <RET>'

truncate-lines is a variable defined in `C source code'.
Its value is t

   Automatically becomes buffer-local when set in any fashion.
   This variable is safe as a file local variable if its value
   satisfies the predicate `booleanp'.

Documentation:
*Non-nil means do not display continuation lines.
Instead, give each line of text just one screen line.

Note that this is overridden by the variable
`truncate-partial-width-windows' if that variable is non-nil
and this buffer is not full-frame width.

You can customize this variable.

--
Suvayu

* Re: How to set wrap line at window edge
@ 2009-09-07 10:28       ` bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-09-07 10:28 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Many thanks
How complicated!

@ 2009-09-07 11:47   ` bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-09-07 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

So I've added as you suggest

(custom-set-variables
       (...other customizations ...)
       '(truncate-lines nil))

in the init.el file, but I still get line truncation  in all my buffers.
In the menu Options 'truncate long lines in this buffer' is activated. If I
disactivate this option in the menu I still continue getting line truncation
(drives me crazy).
I guess there is nothing else to be done?

@ 2009-09-07 12:19       ` bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-09-07 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I think I explained my problem badly.
My problem is that although my buffer occupies all the emacs window, the
lines don't wrap at the windows edge. They wrap quite a distance before (at
about half the window). Is there a solution to this?
Thank you very much for your patience

@ 2009-09-07 13:12         ` Allan Gottlieb
From: Allan Gottlieb @ 2009-09-07 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Mon, 07 Sep 2009 14:19:30 +0200 bar tomas <bartomas@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think I explained my problem badly.
> My problem is that although my buffer occupies all the emacs window, the
> lines don't wrap at the windows edge. They wrap quite a distance before (at
> about half the window). Is there a solution to this?

Perhaps you have auto-fill-mode enabled.  Do you see the word
"Fill" in the mode line?

allan

* Re: How to set wrap line at window edge
@ 2009-09-07 16:05           ` bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-09-07 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Allan Gottlieb; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Yes!  It does say 'Fill' on the mode line ('Org Fill' in fact because I'm
working with the org mode).
How do I correct this?
Many thanks

@ 2009-09-07 16:22             ` ken
From: ken @ 2009-09-07 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bar tomas; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Allan Gottlieb

"C-7 C-2 C-x f" will wrap at column 72.

;put in your ~/.emacs to setup new emacs session to wrap at col 72
(setq-default fill-column 72)

--
War is a failure of the imagination.
        --William Blake

@ 2009-09-07 16:49               ` bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-09-07 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: gebser; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Allan Gottlieb

Many thanks for all your help.
Is there no way of telling emacs to wrap around when it gets to the end of
the window instead of setting the wrap to a fixed column? I mean the window
may be enlarged or reduced and the number of columns it can pack in varies.
Thanks again.

@ 2009-09-07 17:40                 ` Tyler Smith
From: Tyler Smith @ 2009-09-07 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: bar tomas, Emacs Help

bar tomas wrote:
> Many thanks for all your help.
> Is there no way of telling emacs to wrap around when it gets to the
> end of the window instead of setting the wrap to a fixed column? I
> mean the window may be enlarged or reduced and the number of columns
> it can pack in varies.
> Thanks again.

You could try a function like this:

(defun reset-fill-column ()
  (interactive)
   (set-fill-column (- (window-width) 5)))

Bind that to a convenient key, and call it whenever you change the size
of the window. There might be a hook you could use to run it
automatically every time you change the window size, but I don't know
about that.

HTH,

Tyler

@ 2009-09-07 20:58             ` Allan Gottlieb
From: Allan Gottlieb @ 2009-09-07 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

At Mon, 07 Sep 2009 18:05:03 +0200 bar tomas <bartomas@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes!  It does say 'Fill' on the mode line ('Org Fill' in fact because I'm
> working with the org mode).
> How do I correct this?

Here are three ways (with minor variations).

1.  Right click on the word fill and then uncheck the "auto fill"
    option (only affects this buffer).

2A. Type "M-x auto-fill-mode" (toggles auto-fill for this buffer)

2B. Type "C-u 0 M-x auto-fill-mode" (turns off, not toggle, auto
    fill for this buffer).

3A. Add this to .emacs (untested), repeating the last line
       for each major mode that should not be auto-filled
       (defun ken-no-auto-fill ()
         "Turn off auto filling"
         (auto-fill-mode 0))
       (add-hook 'foo-mode-hook 'ken-no-auto-fill)

3B. If you have only one major mode of interest, the following is shorter
       (add-hook 'foo-mode-hook (lambda () (auto-fill-mode 0)))

allan

* Re: How to set wrap line at window edge
@ 2009-09-08  8:30               ` bar tomas
From: bar tomas @ 2009-09-08  8:30 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Allan Gottlieb; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs