all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Christian Schröder" <chschroe@math.uni-goettingen.de>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Charset problem
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:03:43 +0200	[thread overview]

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> You mean, even with "C-x RET c latin-1 C-x C-f" Emacs still claims
> that the umlauts are eight-bit-graphic characters?  That is soooo
> strange!

Ok, it just became even more strange ...
I did not mention (sorry!) that I was in a "screen" session when I did
all the tests. When I realized that this might be the reason for my
problems I tried to simply log into the server and start Emacs directly
and ... tadaa ... all the umlauts were there.
Ok, so screen seemed to be the culprit. To verify this suspicion I
started screen and then Emacs ... and it still worked. So something
seems to be wrong with the "screen" session I used for all my tests, but
I have no idea what it could be. I dumped the whole environment to a
file and sourced this file into a fresh shell, but it still worked, so
the environment doesn't seem to have anything to do with my problem.
Is it worth to further investigate this issue? At least I can start to
work now, but it would still be interesting what's wrong with the screen
session ...

> What version of Emacs is that?  What does "M-x emacs-version RET" say?

If this information is still of any use:
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i586-suse-linux-gnu) of 2006-11-27 on tanajew

If I may ask one last question: I normally have my PuTTY translation set
to UTF-8. Is it possible to make Emacs send me the ISO-8859-1 encoded
umlauts as UTF-8 characters? Then I would not have to change the
translation on my side.

Kind regards,
	Christian