all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#22690: ELPA repository is corrupted on Savannah
@ 2016-02-15 23:25 Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2016-02-15 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22690

Stephen Leake reported the problem here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-02/msg00867.html

Andreas Schwab analyzed it here:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2016-02/msg00887.html

The following shell transcript shows how to reproduce the problem:

$ git clone -c transfer.fsckObjects=true git://git.savannah.gnu.org/emacs/elpa.git
Cloning into 'elpa'...
remote: Counting objects: 93882, done.
error: object 2699d230e3b592ae42506d7b5c969a7ac6a4593c:contains zero-padded file
modes
fatal: Error in object
fatal: index-pack failed

* bug#22690: ELPA repository is corrupted on Savannah
@ 2018-03-05  2:24 ` Paul Eggert
       [not found]   ` <E1esptR-0006JS-RC@fencepost.gnu.org>
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-03-05  2:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22690-done

Closing the bug report, since the bug cannot be fixed.

@ 2018-03-05 17:33     ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-03-05 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: 22690

On 03/05/2018 05:11 AM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> What is the problem?  The idea that there is no way to
> fix it is somewhat shocking.

As I understand it the problem is that the repository data uses a Git
format that was a mistake and has been deprecated in later Git releases.
Current versions of Git do not generate this mistaken format, and
optionally warn if they discover it in the repository (the mistaken
format still works otherwise). Our repository contains data that was
generated by an older Git that had the bug.

We could work around the problem by rewriting history, something that is
a pain to do with Git (and which arguably is not something we should do,
which is why I wrote the somewhat-misleading "the bug cannot be fixed").
We'd rather not work around the problem in this particular case as it's
not worth the trouble.

* bug#22690: ELPA repository is corrupted on Savannah
@ 2018-03-05 23:05       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-03-05 23:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: 22690

  > As I understand it the problem is that the repository data uses a Git
  > format that was a mistake and has been deprecated in later Git releases.
  > Current versions of Git do not generate this mistaken format, and
  > optionally warn if they discover it in the repository (the mistaken
  > format still works otherwise). Our repository contains data that was
  > generated by an older Git that had the bug.

What practical problems does this cause for us?

Do we have another repo that we can use?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
Skype: No way! See https://stallman.org/skype.html.

* bug#22690: ELPA repository is corrupted on Savannah
@ 2018-03-05 23:25         ` Paul Eggert
From: Paul Eggert @ 2018-03-05 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: 22690

On 03/05/2018 03:05 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
> What practical problems does this cause for us?
>
> Do we have another repo that we can use?

The only practical problem that I know of is that if one tells Git to
complain about the mistaken format, it'll complain. I suppose that a
future version of Git could drop support for the mistaken format, but I
view that as unlikely; and if it does happen we can work around the
problem then.

It's not a question of whether to use Git or not, or whether to use
another copy of the repository or not. Any simple Git clone of the
current repository will have the same problem. Converting to any other
repository format (e.g., Bzr) would be equivalent to converting to
current Git format; either action would work around the problem equally
well. Either action would also be a hassle, though, which is why we
haven't done it.

* bug#22690: ELPA repository is corrupted on Savannah
From: Richard Stallman @ 2018-03-06 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Eggert; +Cc: 22690

  > The only practical problem that I know of is that if one tells Git to
  > complain about the mistaken format, it'll complain. I suppose that a
  > future version of Git could drop support for the mistaken format, but I
  > view that as unlikely; and if it does happen we can work around the
  > problem then.

Thanks.  I agree that we don't need to do anything now.