all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* email client
@ 2013-03-21 22:33 Mohamed HIBTI
From: Mohamed HIBTI @ 2013-03-21 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,
Is there any way to compose send send a mail from emacs  (for instance via
"message-send-and-exit") to the default mail client (lotus notes on
debian).

I tried to custom sendmail-program without success ! any idea ?
Thanks,
Mohamed

* Re: email client
@ 2013-03-22  7:25 ` Mark Skilbeck
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mark Skilbeck @ 2013-03-22  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mohamed HIBTI; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Why do you want to compose an email inside emacs and then send it on
to an email client? If you want to use emacs as your editor for
writing email, you should check the Lotus Notes documentation and see
if it allows for an external editor, as with Mutt and others; this
page[1] under the heading Editor suggests that it is possible.

If I'm misunderstand, better describe your use-case.

[1] http://www.guckes.net/lotusnotes/

- mgsk

On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:33:15PM +0100, Mohamed HIBTI wrote:
> Hi all,
> Is there any way to compose send send a mail from emacs  (for instance via
> "message-send-and-exit") to the default mail client (lotus notes on
> debian).
>
> I tried to custom sendmail-program without success ! any idea ?
> Thanks,
> Mohamed

* Re: email client
@ 2013-03-22  8:01   ` Sriram
From: Sriram @ 2013-03-22  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Skilbeck, Mohamed HIBTI; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Ola,

try url-mail or rmai, mails will be delivered to the default sendmail
program, which can configured to deliver to smtp or the pop servers.

url-mail seems the easy option.

To read mail we can use gnus, ifile with (fetch  & proc) mail working in
tandom.

Just have a fancy signature func here below. Hope it helps

(defun my-sig ()
  (let ((my-sig-str ""))
  (save-excursion
    (fortune-in-buffer t fortune-file)
    (set-buffer fortune-buffer-name)
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (goto-char (point-min))
    (insert-file-contents "~/.signature")
    (setq my-sig-str (buffer-string)))
  my-sig-str))

--
Regards
Sriram R

* Re: email client
@ 2013-03-22  8:17 ` Eli Zaretskii
       [not found] ` <mailman.22624.1363937133.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
       [not found] ` <mailman.22628.1363940291.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-03-22  8:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Mohamed HIBTI <mohamed.hibti@gmail.fr>
> Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 23:33:15 +0100
>
> Is there any way to compose send send a mail from emacs  (for instance via
> "message-send-and-exit") to the default mail client (lotus notes on
> debian).

Customize message-send-mail-function to have the value
'message-send-mail-with-mailclient.  I also suggest to customize
send-mail-function to have the value 'mailclient-send-it.

* Re: email client
       [not found] ` <mailman.22624.1363937133.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-03-22  9:43   ` mohamed.hibti
From: mohamed.hibti @ 2013-03-22  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Mohamed HIBTI

Le vendredi 22 mars 2013 08:25:26 UTC+1, Mark Skilbeck a écrit :
> Why do you want to compose an email inside emacs and then send it on
>
> to an email client? If you want to use emacs as your editor for
>
> writing email, you should check the Lotus Notes documentation and see
>
> if it allows for an external editor, as with Mutt and others; this
>
> page[1] under the heading Editor suggests that it is possible.
>

> If I'm misunderstand, better describe your use-case.
>

> [1] http://www.guckes.net/lotusnotes/
>

> - mgsk
>

> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 11:33:15PM +0100, Mohamed HIBTI wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
>
> > Is there any way to compose send send a mail from emacs  (for instance via
>
> > "message-send-and-exit") to the default mail client (lotus notes on
>
> > debian).
>

> > I tried to custom sendmail-program without success ! any idea ?
>
> > Thanks,
>
> > Mohamed

Thanks for This reply !
I asked before and I understood that it was not possible.

* Re: email client
       [not found] ` <mailman.22628.1363940291.855.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2013-03-22  9:46   ` mohamed.hibti
From: mohamed.hibti @ 2013-03-22  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Le vendredi 22 mars 2013 09:17:48 UTC+1, Eli Zaretskii a écrit :
> > From: Mohamed HIBTI <mohamed.hibti@gmail.fr>
>
> > Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 23:33:15 +0100
>

> > Is there any way to compose send send a mail from emacs  (for instance via
>
> > "message-send-and-exit") to the default mail client (lotus notes on
>
> > debian).
>

> Customize message-send-mail-function to have the value
>
> 'message-send-mail-with-mailclient.  I also suggest to customize
>
> send-mail-function to have the value 'mailclient-send-it.

Thank you Eli for this answer,
I tried this on emacs 24.2, and it is not working.
May be I have some specific hidden customisation.

* Re: email client
@ 2013-03-22 10:06     ` mohamed.hibti
From: mohamed.hibti @ 2013-03-22 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu.emacs.help; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Le vendredi 22 mars 2013 10:46:19 UTC+1, mohame...@gmail.com a écrit :
> Le vendredi 22 mars 2013 09:17:48 UTC+1, Eli Zaretskii a écrit :
>
> > > From: Mohamed HIBTI <mohamed.hibti@gmail.fr>
>

> > > Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2013 23:33:15 +0100
>

> > > Is there any way to compose send send a mail from emacs  (for instance via
>

> > > "message-send-and-exit") to the default mail client (lotus notes on
>

> > > debian).
>

> > Customize message-send-mail-function to have the value
>

> > 'message-send-mail-with-mailclient.  I also suggest to customize
>

> > send-mail-function to have the value 'mailclient-send-it.
>

> Thank you Eli for this answer,
>
> I tried this on emacs 24.2, and it is not working.
>
> May be I have some specific hidden customisation.

Or may be it is more a notes problem

when sending email it opens notes application but nothing else.

* Re: email client
@ 2013-03-22 10:43       ` mohamed.hibti
From: mohamed.hibti @ 2013-03-22 10:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Friday, March 22, 2013 11:06:08 AM UTC+1, mohame...@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Customize message-send-mail-function to have the value
>

> > > 'message-send-mail-with-mailclient.  I also suggest to customize
>

> > > send-mail-function to have the value 'mailclient-send-it.
>

> > Thank you Eli for this answer,
>

> > I tried this on emacs 24.2, and it is not working.
>

> > May be I have some specific hidden customisation.
>

> Or may be it is more a notes problem
>

> when sending email it opens notes application but nothing else.

Fix it !!

Thank you both !!

Following your suggestion Eli I just tried to understand the send-mail-function, and then found that it uses the `browse-url-mailto-function' which needs some specific customisaition

(setq browse-url-browser-function 'browse-url-generic)
(setq browse-url-generic-program "path/to/mailclient")

and it worked :)

Regards,
Mohamed