all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Huge files slow Emacs?
@ 2005-02-16  8:35 塩野@遊び人
From: 塩野@遊び人 @ 2005-02-16  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

I'm troubled with the most recent Emacs CVS getting slowed down in the
Solaris host.  I always make Emacs load a huge file (45MB or larger!)
in order to read mails with VM.  In such a condition, C-n and C-p take
about a second to move the point in every buffer, for example.

I had no dissatisfaction formerly even in a similar condition.  Though
I'm not sure what causes the problem, I tried several versions of the
sources of the past and realized there's no problem before a certain
period.  A doubtful change is the following (removing it solves the
problem):

	* dispextern.h (xassert): Enable unconditionally.

I appreciate anyone looking into it.

Best regrads,

* Re: Huge files slow Emacs?
@ 2005-02-16 13:35 ` Luc Teirlinck
From: Luc Teirlinck @ 2005-02-16 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: emacs-devel

	   * dispextern.h (xassert): Enable unconditionally.

   I appreciate anyone looking into it.

There is not much of a mystery here.  Enabling asserts slows things
down.  I have noticed slowdown all over the place sine it has been
enabled.

The problem is that now any performance bug is just going to be
_assumed_ to be due to xassert being enabled.

Sincerely,

Luc.

* Re: Huge files slow Emacs?
@ 2005-02-17  0:15   ` Miles Bader
From: Miles Bader @ 2005-02-17  0:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: jun, emacs-devel

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 07:35:23 -0600 (CST), Luc Teirlinck
<teirllm@dms.auburn.edu> wrote:
>            * dispextern.h (xassert): Enable unconditionally.
>
>    I appreciate anyone looking into it.
>
> There is not much of a mystery here.  Enabling asserts slows things
> down.  I have noticed slowdown all over the place sine it has been
> enabled.
>
> The problem is that now any performance bug is just going to be
> _assumed_ to be due to xassert being enabled.

The majority of xasserts should have no impact on performance, they
are simple quick checks.  It could be that some of them call functions
to do extra strict checking of some data-structure; _those_ xasserts
should probably be changed to be dependent on GLYPH_DEBUG.

-MIles
--
Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.