all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* EMACS Problem: File exists but cannot be read
@ 2007-09-07 23:59 Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2007-09-07 23:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello,

I using Emacs Version 21.4.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d
scroll bars) of 2007-06-19 on ninsei, modified by debian.

My system is Debian Etch...

Sometime, if I read files from FTP (M-x f /user@localhost:) I get the
message File exists but cannot be read. If I repeat the load command,
the error doesn't occur. BUT: It happens, that the file isn't load
completely into the buffer without errors or warnings (f.e. 1400 lines
instead 2800)

What went wrong?

Previously I used emacs with SuSE 9.0 in Version 21.3.x (don't know the
exactly version), there wasn't any problems like that.

Please help me.

Thanks in advance
Best regards
Anne

* Re: EMACS Problem: File exists but cannot be read
@ 2007-09-23 18:17 ` Unknown
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1199.1190583737.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Unknown @ 2007-09-23 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello, I have above problem!

Why runs my emacs not correct since I have Debian ETCH?

* Re: EMACS Problem: File exists but cannot be read
@ 2007-09-23 21:42   ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1199.1190583737.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-23 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

Am 23.09.2007 um 20:17 schrieb Anne Kaeppes:

> Why runs my emacs not correct since I have Debian ETCH?

Probably this is not an ETCH problem – the same happens to me when I
try to read some other user's files I am not allowed to (UNIX file
permissions set to 640 or -rw-r-----). This also works when the
directory with the file is 'read protected' (UNIX file permissions
set to 751 or drwxr-x--x – I can search and even cd, but not read).

Can you describe some details? With the help of dired?

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Globalisation -- communism from above.

@ 2007-09-24  9:15     ` Unknown
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1217.1190632859.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Unknown @ 2007-09-24  9:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Probably this is not an ETCH problem – the same happens to me when I try
> to read some other user's files I am not allowed to (UNIX file
> permissions set to 640 or -rw-r-----). This also works when the
> directory with the file is 'read protected' (UNIX file permissions set
> to 751 or drwxr-x--x – I can search and even cd, but not read).

Of cause, it is'nt an Etch problem, but this problem comes with an
Upgrade to Etch from Suse 9.0.

But: It isn't a problem of the file system permission.
1. the file systems owner/user/chmod are correct.
2. this problem occurs only sometimes.

If I open the the file again and again, after two to 5 times it works,
but then I have to check, if the complete(!) file is read, cause,
sometimes not the whole file will be read, only the half or more
without any notice.

The complete problem disappears, if I start a new emacs an read the
desired file.

This only happens while reading the files with the ftp client in emacs.

Thanks...

@ 2007-09-24 11:20       ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]       ` <mailman.1217.1190632859.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-24 11:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

Am 24.09.2007 um 11:15 schrieb Anne Kaeppes:

> This only happens while reading the files with the ftp client in
> emacs.

So it can be the FTP server, too!

Can you provide an FTP address of the file and also mention how you
try to access that file? What do you input to GNU Emacs? C-h f ... or
C-x d ... ? And these ... need to filled with text ...

--
Greetings

   Pete       (:
         _    / __    -    -
       _/ \__/_/        -     -
      (´`)      (´`)   -    -
       `´        `´

@ 2007-09-27  1:30         ` Unknown
From: Unknown @ 2007-09-27  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello Pete,

Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Am 24.09.2007 um 11:15 schrieb Anne Kaeppes:
>
>> This only happens while reading the files with the ftp client in emacs.
>
> So it can be the FTP server, too!

But how can I check this out?

> Can you provide an FTP address of the file and also mention how you try
> to access that file?

C-x C-f
/username@IP:/path/to/file/filename.ext

Sometimes it works, sometime not. And maybe emacs not loads the full
text from the server...

@ 2007-09-27  9:02           ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2007-09-27  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anne Kaeppes; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 27.09.2007 um 03:30 schrieb Anne Kaeppes:

>>> This only happens while reading the files with the ftp client in
>>> emacs.
>> So it can be the FTP server, too!
>
> But how can I check this out?

Ftp "by hand" in some shell:

	ftp IP
	<username>
	cd /path/to/file
	get filename.ext

It's not a good test, since you are fetching that file just once
while in GNU Emacs the methods get and put might be used a few times.
There is also some chance that the connection times out, which you
could find in shell too: just wait for a growing amount of minutes
and then send a dir command (this can be done incidentally, no need
to watch it all the time). I don't remember whether the local ftp
process reports the time-out at once or it needs an "external"
trigger by sending another ftp command ... (FTP uses two channels of
communication: a control connection and the one by which files are
transferred, so it's likely that the local FTP process will report
the time-out actively.)

It's also possible to use ping and traceroute to check whether the
connection is stable.

There can also be some firewall in the way. Then it might be better
to set your system to use "passive FTP." This can "bypass" the
firewall and make the connection reliable.

Have you ever read the LOG buffer for the FTP process? C-x C-b will
list all buffers in use. Then search for the IP address (it will most
probably be part of that buffer's name – and some other part of the
name will reveal whether you use TRAMP or just ange-ftp).

Another test can be done with another version of GNU Emacs, an elder
stable one ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

Some day we may discover how to make magnets that can point in any
direction.