all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs and Usenet groups
@ 2007-07-14  6:55 Ankur Jain
From: Ankur Jain @ 2007-07-14  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi

I am new to the concept of usenet groups. I know they're somewhat similar to
Yahoo groups...but that some of the groups are public.

I use Google groups to browse some usenet groups, but I'd like to do it with
Emacs Gnus. Can someone help me with configuring gnus on emacs to add some
usenet groups and read/send messages.

--
Regards
Ankur Jain

http://ankurjain.org

* Re: Emacs and Usenet groups
       [not found] <mailman.3474.1184396114.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-14  7:19 ` Pascal Bourguignon
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3477.1184412081.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Pascal Bourguignon @ 2007-07-14  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Ankur Jain" <jainankur@gmail.com> writes:
> I am new to the concept of usenet groups. I know they're somewhat similar to Yahoo
> groups...but that some of the groups are public.

No, that's the other way around: Yahoo groups are somewhat similar to
usenet groups.  Usenet existed even before the Internet!!!

> I use Google groups to browse some usenet groups, but I'd like to do it with Emacs
> Gnus. Can someone help me with configuring gnus on emacs to add some usenet groups and
> read/send messages.

(info "(gnus)Starting Up") C-x C-e

NOTE: The most fundamental particles in this product are held
together by a "gluing" force about which little is currently known
and whose adhesive power can therefore not be permanently
guaranteed.

* Re: Emacs and Usenet groups
@ 2007-07-14 11:21   ` Juanma Barranquero
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3477.1184412081.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-07-14 11:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pascal Bourguignon; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 7/14/07, Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:

> No, that's the other way around: Yahoo groups are somewhat similar to
> usenet groups.  Usenet existed even before the Internet!!!

When A is similar to B, B is similar to A. There's no time arrow in
the definition of similarity :)

             Juanma

* Re: Emacs and Usenet groups
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3477.1184412081.32220.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-07-14 19:51     ` Eric Eide
From: Eric Eide @ 2007-07-14 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Juanma" == Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

	Juanma> When A is similar to B, B is similar to A. There's no time
	Juanma> arrow in the definition of similarity :)

Was the past similar to the present, or is the past only *now* similar to the
present, now that the present is actually occurring and we can observe its
similarity to the past?

Eric.

Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu>  .         University of Utah School of Computing
http://www.cs.utah.edu/~eeide/ . +1 (801) 585-5512 voice, +1 (801) 581-5843 FAX

* Re: Emacs and Usenet groups
@ 2007-07-15  8:19       ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2007-07-15  8:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Eide; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On 7/14/07, Eric Eide <eeide@cs.utah.edu> wrote:

> Was the past similar to the present, or is the past only *now* similar to the
> present, now that the present is actually occurring and we can observe its
> similarity to the past?

Both start to be similar to each other at the same exact moment :)

             Juanma