On 3/8/16 1:16 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote: > On 03/08/2016 10:56 PM, David Caldwell wrote: > >> Since notes seem like a no-go, what about taking the same approach but >> using an empty commit to do it (`git commit --allow-empty`)? That way it >> gets pushed and merged between branches just like normal. > > How would such commit indicate a relation to an existing commit? I was thinking something along the lines of "reword: " in the message. > And after making it, you can't easily edit the result, you can only > redo it fully. Correct. Newest one wins. > How about putting all corrections as plain files in a subdirectory? Each > file will be named after a commit whose message it's "changing". IIRC, > I've seen such idea mentioned before, and it seems like it should work. Yeah, It would work as well. I just thought it would be nice to keep meta-data corrections in the meta-data itself. > We could even implement integration with vc-print-log without too much > difficulty. The main thing to solve is the cherrypick commits (does the > correction apply to whose? always?); Cherry-picks would definitely require more effort. > but as long as cherrypicks include the references to their parents in > the message, it should be workable, one way or another. I don't believe they do, by default. And if they need to be amended to include that, you might as well amend to include the fixed commit-log instead. -David