all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#5769: 23.1; Emacs crash on Windows 7 right after startup
@ 2010-03-24 20:41 Tamas Czinege
From: Tamas Czinege @ 2010-03-24 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 5769

On launching Emacs 23.1.0 on Windows 7 32bit (using the official build), Emacs
crashes right after displaying the Emacs window. Using
a debugger, I got the following information:

Unhandled exception at 0x0109cf0d in emacs.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
violation writing location 0x0242fffc.

Stack trace:

> emacs.exe!0109cf0d()
  [Frames below may be incorrect and/or missing, no symbols loaded for
emacs.exe]
  emacs.exe!0101872f()
  emacs.exe!01014fd4()
  emacs.exe!01016e4f()
  emacs.exe!01014fd4()
  emacs.exe!0113587a()
  emacs.exe!01055527()
  emacs.exe!01057517()
  emacs.exe!01100ea6()
  emacs.exe!0108c141()
  emacs.exe!0106b63f()
  emacs.exe!010029c6()
  msvcrt.dll!7721a442()
  msvcrt.dll!7721f4d2()
  msvcrt.dll!77221162()
  msvcrt.dll!77275bbc()
  msvcrt.dll!772215a0()
  emacs.exe!01004c5b()

Note that the problem can be temporarily worked around by adding
the following line to my .emacs:

(setq inhibit-splash-screen t)

or just invoking Emacs with --no-splash. That allows emacs
starting up, but it still crashes in a minute or so, apparently
completely randomly. Note that this still happens even
when invoked with -q --no-site-file.
I'm not sure if this is a bug or there's something wrong
with my installation but it offers no apparent clue if that's
the case.

In GNU Emacs 23.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7600)
 of 2009-07-30 on SOFT-MJASON
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (4.4)'
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENG
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t
Major mode: Lisp Interaction
Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  global-auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> M-x e <backspace>
r e p o r t <kp-subtract> e m a c s <kp-subtract> b
u g <return>
Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

* bug#5769: 23.1; Emacs crash on Windows 7 right after startup
@ 2010-03-24 23:15 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2010-03-24 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tamas Czinege; +Cc: 5769

Tamas Czinege <tomi.czinege@gmail.com> writes:

> On launching Emacs 23.1.0 on Windows 7 32bit (using the official build), Emacs
> crashes right after displaying the Emacs window. Using
> a debugger, I got the following information:
>
> Unhandled exception at 0x0109cf0d in emacs.exe: 0xC0000005: Access
> violation writing location 0x0242fffc.
>
> Note that the problem can be temporarily worked around by adding
> the following line to my .emacs:
>
> (setq inhibit-splash-screen t)
>
> or just invoking Emacs with --no-splash. That allows emacs
> starting up, but it still crashes in a minute or so, apparently
> completely randomly.

Do you have Cygwin directories in your PATH? It could be a result of
incompatible image libraries.

* bug#5769: 23.1; Emacs crash on Windows 7 right after startup
@ 2010-03-25 21:34   ` Tamas Czinege
From: Tamas Czinege @ 2010-03-25 21:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 5769

I don't have Cygwin installed on that box, and have no Cygwin
directories in the PATH. The debugger gives the following list of
loaded modules that are not part of Windows:

emacs.exe	C:\emacs\bin\emacs.exe	23, 1, 0, 0
libXpm.dll	C:\emacs\bin\libXpm.dll

and both of them seems to me loaded from the right location. It might
be very well some sort of image library conflict as disabling the
splash image hints it. I suppose making a custom build with debug
symbols compiled in and stepping in with a debugger would help. I'll
let you know what I find.

@ 2013-02-17  3:10     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-02-17  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 5769-done

Sorry, I don't think anything can be done with report as it stands.
If it still happens with the current version of Emacs (currently 24.2),
please make a new report and hopefully we do better next time.